Flavor Combo Question Urgent! Opinions Please!

Decorating By grams Updated 20 May 2011 , 3:19am by sillywabbitz

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 12

banana cake/ banana cream fill/ choc frosting yum? yuck? so so? I made this as part of the cakes for my son's 40th birthday party. I mentioned it to my sister and she just said "Oh". It didn't sound very good to her.

If it is yuck I have to get busy and make another cake pronto. Party is Sat.

11 replies
MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 19 May 2011 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 12

I think it sounds fine. I would have probably done a peanut butter tasting filling, but I think it's fine.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 May 2011 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 12

Chocolate and bananas go together, if you like them. Maybe your sister just doesn't like that combination?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 May 2011 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 12

I've found that banana itself tends to be a polarizing flavor, some love it and some hate it. One of our popular combinations is banana cake with chocolate frosting (with or without fresh banana filling), so there's nothing wrong with banana and chocolate as long as you like the banana flavor.

Some of our other popular combos (fruit filling and/or flavored buttercream) with banana cake are coconut, strawberry, maple, rum, and imitation almond.

peetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peetz Posted 19 May 2011 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 12

Uh, YUM. Sounds good to me. Who don't like chocolate and bananas? lol Makes me hungry.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 19 May 2011 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 12

I guess your sister has never had a chocolate-covered banana! I love fresh banana cake with vanilla filling and whipped ganache frosting. My DH husband likes it with caramel buttercream. Jason's combinations also sound really good.

cakedoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoff Posted 19 May 2011 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 12

Have done this combo many times to rave reviews! Mini chocolate chips in the filling is good, too.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 19 May 2011 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 12

Is banana cake the same as banana bread/muffins (a brownish color with speckles and dense?) Or is banana cake more fluffy, like a standard celebration cake (sponge cake?)

I tried to search for a picture of banana cake, frosted and cut so I could see the inside, but they all looked like banana bread.

If it is more like banana bread, then I probably would be disappointed with that as a birthday cake, just like your sister. To me, that is more like a cake you eat for breakfast, brunch, or get at a bake sale, not a celebration cake. Maybe that is why she gave you that reaction.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 May 2011 , 12:19am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker

Is banana cake the same as banana bread/muffins (a brownish color with speckles and dense?) Or is banana cake more fluffy, like a standard celebration cake (sponge cake?)

Our banana cake is definitely more like traditional cake than banana bread, but it is a little denser. Vegan (egg-free) banana cakes also turn out very well - in fact bananas are sometimes used as substitutes for eggs.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 20 May 2011 , 12:31am
post #10 of 12

A good banana cake is so much better than banana bread/muffins. I make one with a caramel buttercream filling and frosting. YUM!

britishgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
britishgrl Posted 20 May 2011 , 12:58am
post #11 of 12

i would agree with ellies, caramel would go lovely with a banana cake. Another flavor that goes wonderfully is strawberry. Especially because with peanut butter lots of people are allergic to it =( I think if you are worried about it, I'd do another filling just to shut up that silly little voice inside that worries about it, because you dont need that kind of stress. I dont know if that last sentence made sense to anyone else but me lol.

Banana is a very strong flavor and normally thats why people put it with another flavor that compliments it. Banana strawberry, banana chocolate, banana caramel and banana peanut butter are all popular combinations. The only time I'd do it is if a client specifically requested it and couldnt be steered elsewhere.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:19am
post #12 of 12

At a cake tasting for a friend they did banana cake with cinnamon filling and it was awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%