Cupcakes Peeled Away From Liner

Baking By mizcrist Updated 26 May 2011 , 1:53am by scp1127

mizcrist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizcrist Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:30am
post #1 of 14

My cupcakes has peeled away from the liner. icon_cry.gif I don't want to waste them is there anything I can do to still decorate them and make them look presentable! All help is greatly appreciated. I have a big order due on Friday & really need help. I must mention that I am making mini cupcakes. I never had this happen to me on regular cupcakes. I'm also a newbie. Thanks!!

13 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:44am
post #2 of 14

I find that my chocolate cake comes away from the liners on my mini's, but i've never had a problem with vanilla cakes. I think it might have to do with denseness or baking time... not sure though. As far as what to do with the ones you have, if it's not too badly peeled away, gently squeeze the wrapper back on, then frost, and the frosting will generally keep the paper from peeling away again if the frosting is toughing in. If it's chocolate you could try squeezing some ganache around the outside of the cake/inside of the wrapper and then place back in the mini pan and in the fridge/freezer to set the chocolate and seal the liner back on? I had this issue today but just switched recipes and i've using the extra cake to make vanilla/chocolate straw shortcake parfaits tomorrow. icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 May 2011 , 8:02am
post #3 of 14

Next time look into high quality greaseproof or foil liners. Both of these have cheap brands too, so don't try to save money.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 21 May 2011 , 1:27am
post #4 of 14

I don't think it's just about the quality of the liners, I made 3 different recipes of cupcakes and 1 peeled away from the liner and the other 2 were fine. There has to be a different explanation then just quality of liners...

scp1127 Posted 21 May 2011 , 7:41am
post #5 of 14

bakingkat, I bake from scratch and I prefer very moist cupcakes. I am very OCD where my business is concerned. I have actually baked many different recipes, putting 12 different liners in a pan. After all of this research, every Wilton, Michael's brand, and all cheap cute liners on the internet failed. Those on the list that never fail are the ones where I pay between .07 and .12 each. The higher being my most used tulips. Reynolds Foil are in that price range for the colors. The others are that price when bought in quantity. I have had cheap greaseproof fail, but never any of the high quality. I must have over 50 cheap experiment packs sitting in a drawer.

I can now gauge all of my cupcake orders to the exact amont needed and never lose even one.

mizcrist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizcrist Posted 23 May 2011 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks for the replies. I figured out the problem. I didn't fill the liner with the proper amount of batter. I was using the MIDI size liners. It took a tablespoon & a half. When they came out I removed them promptly from the pan & no peeling.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 14

Being a bit OCD myself, I have also tested liners. Regardless of price; color; decorated or not; mini, regular, jumbo; vanilla, chocolate, or any other cake flavor; and certainly moist icon_biggrin.gif ....what I've found is that if the liners don't fit properly in your pan, they will either peel away or cave in. However, if they DO fit properly in the pan, I've never had a problem with them.

By "properly," I mean the liners should simply sit in the pan without being pushed in. What seems to happen is, if the liner is even slightly too big for the pan so that you have to push the liner down to make it fit, it causes the rippled sides to gather or constrict. (If the liner is really too big, the side of the liner will sometimes cave in.) The pan is actually helping the liner keep its shape. However, when you take the cupcakes out of the pan, the liner wants to relax. Unfortunately, the cupcake doesn't relax with it and the liner peels away. If the liner is already relaxed in the pan before you fill it with batter, you won't have the problem.

I suppose everyone has their own theory as to why liners peel away...that's mine. icon_lol.gif

scp1127 Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:48am
post #8 of 14

Mine all fit properly. Still, cheap ones fail with my recipes... scratch and moist. High quality, especially if I get to .12 each are perfect every time.

The cheap fiol I tries were standard size and they did krinkle, but they did not pull away.

My theory... we all have a cooking style and ingredients we prefer. We also have different baking habits. If you are not going to buy top of the line liners, you will need to read all of the posts and threads and experiment for yourself.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:03am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

If you are not going to buy top of the line liners, you will need to read all of the posts and threads and experiment for yourself.

Or buy liners that sit in the pan's cups without being pushed down. icon_lol.gif It works for me every time and my cupcakes are also scratch and moist. thumbs_up.gif But yes, we each do what works best for us...and that is usually learned through trial and error. For example, some people will only use expensive hi-ratio shortening in their buttercream, while others say they get the same results from less expensive Crisco or even much less expensive Wal-Mart store brand. Use what works for you. I'm simply offering a less expensive solution for people to try...and one that works for me every time.

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:27am
post #10 of 14

This is pretty interesting because I almost always use really cheap liners for my cupcakes. Through my experience the cheap ones worked the best for me. I never have any peeling away or flat cupcakes with my cheap liners.

scp1127 Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:39am
post #11 of 14

Emily, that is why I believe it is our individual baking styles, favorite ingredients, pans, etc. that makes one better than others. These threads get so long with so many opinions, I think everyone needs to experiment themselves. I push the moisture to the limit sometimes. And I don't bake 25 when I need 24, so I must be sure of all baking neatly. I also use the expensive liners because my customers are paying top dollar for them.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 14

I agree with everybody said here.

I like the theory of too big a liner. Although there is a fine line between a slight push down and way too much push down. I found this out recently testing liners for my bakery.

I will also add that underbaking also contributes to the liner peeling away, as well as putting them into airtight storage before they have had a chance to thoroughly cool.

And I find the cheap liners that smell like wax when you open the package are the worse. I get this most on decorated liners, mostly found at Hobby Lobby in my area. I just don't buy them any more.

franstroud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franstroud Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:56pm
post #13 of 14

I'm certain that this has been listed elsewhere; but for the benefit of a newbie could you please list names or web sites for buying the liners that have worked best - the ones in the higher price ranges. Thanks! BTW I'm new but learning so much from each of you.

scp1127 Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:53am
post #14 of 14

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/cupcake-and-muffin-liners.aspx

Can't say enough good about their products. I use the brown tulip cups... my favorite, and the regular brown cups. Both make perfect cupcakes.

I also exclusively use Williams-Sonoma Goldtouch muffin pans. I have a bakery and I own about 10 of them (plus multiples of every pan they make). This is a very big factor in perfect cupcakes. I compared good pans, WS regular pans and these. The same batter in the same liners in the same oven. Goldtouch in every style and size gives a superior product every time

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%