White Lily Flour Problem?

Baking By southerncross

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 19 May 2011 , 2:51am
post #1 of 1

Has anyone had any problem with White Lily flour recently? I've been baking cakes for 30 years with White Lily AP (it's a soft winter wheat flour with a low protein level same as cake flour) and NEVER had a problem. I'm making a three tiered groom's cake and finished with the 6" and the 8" layers and they turned out great. I bought a new bag of White Lily this morning and made the 10" layers (all the other ingredients were from the same source as the 6" and 8" so I knew the milk, BP, vanilla, sugar, butter were constant...the eggs were from my own chickens) the only thing that was different was the new bag of flour. I'm using Rose Levy's yellow cake recipe as usual. The batter for the 10" looked odd...very doughy like loose bread dough. The layers didn't rise and the result tasted like bread.

Any ideas of what went wrong? Customer service at White Lily said they thought it might have resulted from the flour being stored too hot temp. I guess I'm paranoid that White Lily formula might have changed after they were sold to Smuckers who moved them from Tenn. to the midwest.

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%