Fire Fighter Helmet Brim

Decorating By aspencakes Updated 19 May 2011 , 2:07am by grandmomof1

aspencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aspencakes Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a fire fighter helmet for a grooms cake. The actual brim slopes downwards and I was wondering if anyone had some experience with this. How would I construct the brim? and would this be something made in fondant or gumpaste? Any thoughts or tips would be helpful. Thanks

5 replies
ClancyJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClancyJane Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 6

I would be interested in knowing as well. I have a firefighter helmet groom's cake coming up next month!

Rcrewof10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rcrewof10 Posted 18 May 2011 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 6

My opinion would be to set the cake up on something so the brim could be bent downward. If your main cake of the helmet is a 10" then stack a couple of boards under it to give it the height needed to bend it downward. We did the entire cake in fondant. We placed a piece of fondant down first to be the brim. Then placed the cake on top of that and covered it with fondant. Seeing how it was a black helmet I took wilton black coloring and mixed in a little vodka to paint it. Came out great!

Have fun!!

aspencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aspencakes Posted 19 May 2011 , 12:27am
post #4 of 6

Thank you! that will do the trick! great advice. I get a little stuck sometimes. What a great forum and wonderful that fellow cake artists share their knowledge. Do you have a picture of your cake?icon_biggrin.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 May 2011 , 2:00am
post #5 of 6

The only thing that worked for me was covering a child play hat and using modeling chocolate. I cut the brim, set it on the hat (which was in a bowl to keep it from wobbling), and when it was set, I placed a 6 inch cake in the brim.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 19 May 2011 , 2:07am
post #6 of 6

http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1166056

This person makes the best looking helmets of anyone I have ever seen. She actually has a tutorial for making the entire helmet. These are absolutely AMAZING!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%