Bird Sitting On A Branch?!

Decorating By MandaMoh3 Updated 19 May 2011 , 11:34am by MandaMoh3

MandaMoh3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaMoh3 Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 5

OK, I have NEVER had a request for anything lifted off of a cake. But I have a request for a 6in round with a branch coming out of the cake with a little bird sitting on it. Any ideas on how to get the structure for the branch???

4 replies
LaWmn223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaWmn223 Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, I guess it depends on how far off the cake the branch needs to be. I have two cakes with birds and branches on them, one is free standing on the top of the cake and the other is done like relief work on the sides of the cake. The person you really need to talk to about birds on branches is Rylan, if you Pm or just make a request Im sure Rylan will help you. icon_smile.gif

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 5

Assuming you dont need to eat the branch - raw spaghetti/vermicelli/noodles covered/painted or wire covered in fondant put into a straw or something so that the wire is not directly stuck into the cake.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 5

A heavy duty skewer (foodsafe) could be stuck into the side of the cake running most of the way through it and then fondant/gumpaste could be built around it to make up the branch with the bird sitting on it. The weight of the top layer of cake on top of the skewer would support the heavier fondant and bird better than wire and you might just want to do two skewers side by side about a half in apart to keep it from twisting (and keep your bird from ending up upside down). Just make sure the receiver of the cake is aware of the skewer support system. HTH

Happy Caking! icon_smile.gif

Edit - I originally thought you meant out of the side of the cake but I think the skewer method might work if it needs to come out of the top of the cake as well.

MandaMoh3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaMoh3 Posted 19 May 2011 , 11:34am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all SO much! The cake isn't until the 28th, but I wanted to get a handle on this before time ran out! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%