Wedding Cake Swirls

Decorating By JenTwirl Updated 18 May 2011 , 10:58pm by JenTwirl

JenTwirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenTwirl Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:02am
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone!

I will be making a wedding cake in June with swirls on the sides. I have attached drawing. I need to know the best way to make these swirls. When I have done them on cakes in the past, it seems like the icing is not the right consistency and they end up looking messy. Should I make them out of fondant first and do it that way? Should I add piping gel to the icing before I do the swirls so they have a more "smooth" look? I am nervous about the swirls looking nice and not "wobbly." Does that make sense? I appreciate any help and guidance!

On a second note, what is your favorite way to smooth buttercream? Viva, warm spatula? Just looking for new ideas =)

THANK YOU!

8 replies
JenTwirl Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:21am
post #2 of 9

Can't get the pic to save!

suzannette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannette Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:43am
post #3 of 9

the swirls may be your consistency on the icing...if its too thin it will look wobbly because its not stable enough.

for the buttercream...i use a spray bottle that has a fine mist and spray that on the cake and then smooth with a spatula. if it is a tall side i use the smooth side of the icing smoother instead of the spatula.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:33am
post #4 of 9

I add piping gel to thin my icing to "writing" consistency before piping. It should be thin enough not to break while flowing.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:43am
post #5 of 9

Not sure about what type of swirls you need but I bought patchwork cutters for these swirls and I love them.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1591531

Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:45am
post #6 of 9

I saw a post on here the other day about using a high density foam paint roller to smooth the buttercream. I tried it and it did work. I need to practice more but I think it is a good method for sure. I remember it said that it had to be foam and high density! I wish I could remember the originators name...ugh GOOD LUCK!

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 18 May 2011 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin_Cakes30

I saw a post on here the other day about using a high density foam paint roller to smooth the buttercream. I tried it and it did work. I need to practice more but I think it is a good method for sure. I remember it said that it had to be foam and high density! I wish I could remember the originators name...ugh GOOD LUCK!

That would be the fabulous Melvira. That's why it's also known as the "Melvira Method." She also knows just about everything there is to know about Bettercreme.

Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 9

That was it! =) Thanks Dawncr! I will not forget it now...so I can always give proper credit cause it really does work well!

JenTwirl Posted 18 May 2011 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 9

I'm excited to give the HIGH DENSITY roller a try. I have used the cheap ones in the past, but it leaves lines in the buttercream. I have kind of moved away from that on larger cakes, but maybe I will give it another shot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%