Wedding Cake Layers On Wednesday--Freeze Or Refrigerate?

Decorating By annlw Updated 18 May 2011 , 9:58am by sweettreat101

annlw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlw Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:41am
post #1 of 6

It's Wednesday and I'm making some cake layers for a Saturday wedding. I plan on doing most of the assembly on Friday evening. Should I go ahead and pop the layers in the freezer (well-wrapped) or just put them in the fridge? What will leave me with a cake the tastes the best?

5 replies
nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:03am
post #2 of 6

Hi annlw

I would freeze and take them out just before bed on Thursday night to defrost wrapped on the kitchen counter ready to decorate friday night. I find keeping cakes in the fridge uniced dries them out.

HTH
Nel

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:31am
post #3 of 6

I had two cakes baked and stored in the refrigerator tightly wrapped. I ended up not making the cake and they sat in my refrigerator for over almost 2 weeks! Before I tossed them I said "Hmm let me try these to see how they taste." They were perfectly fine. Moist and NOT dry. I now feel safe baking as early as Tuesday if I need to for a cake delivery on Sat, (although in most cases I would usually bake on Thursday.) I have tried freezing cakes and am not happy with the taste/texture after freezing. thumbsdown.gif

Note: Your results may vary depending on your cake recipe. I suggest everyone try under their recipe/storage conditions to determine what is acceptable to them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:58am
post #4 of 6

My practice is:

freeze .... always.
refrigerate .... never

annlw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlw Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:12am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for all your thoughts. My recipe says they can be refrigerated for a few days, but it sounds like more people agree with freezing. Now when I use the moistening syrup and the fillings, do Ido this when they are still partly frozen on Friday? Or do I wait until they thaw out completely?

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:58am
post #6 of 6

I try to always freeze my cakes wrapped in plastic wrap. I take them out of the freezer and let them thaw while they are still wrapped for two hours before decorating. This helps keep in the moisture and makes for a nice moist cake. Refrigeration will dry out your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%