Working With Ganache And Smoothing A Cake Tutorial Videos!

Decorating By Rylan Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 2:10pm by jardot22

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 19 May 2011 , 12:27am
post #31 of 48

HaHa you are waaaayy too kind. Thanks for all your help! icon_smile.gif

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 19 May 2011 , 1:35am
post #32 of 48

Thanks for posting those, great tutorials!

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 19 May 2011 , 1:52am
post #33 of 48

So my question is really about flavor. Do you use ganance for only certain flavors of cake or do you use it on everything?

I have some people who really don't like or want chocolate in their cakes. Other times I may not necessarily want chocolate as a flavor profile (pina colada cakes, fruit cake, etc.) either because it contrasts with the main flavors or it may work with the flavor but I don't want to use it (coffee flavored cake that would turn into mocha, etc.)

Thanks for your help.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 19 May 2011 , 3:49pm
post #34 of 48

So i could use some help... I made some last night following the 2:1 ratio for semisweet chocolate... and this morning its not very stiff... almost pudding like. Any suggestions?

I was not going to cover the cake it in this time just a filling, so at this rate... can i at least use it for that?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:16pm
post #35 of 48

Hrnnewbie, I use ganache on everything. I agree with you, some will not work on certain flavors. I never thought fondant goes well with fruit cake either. If it was me, I would use a very thin layer of white chocolate ganache in (for example) pina colada. For something like fruit cake, I'd probably use semi-sweet chocolate. For something like coffee (I've done this before), I just use a thin layer of semi-sweet for coating. With coffee cake and alternating coffee and vanilla SMBC filling, coated in thin ganache, I still felt that the whole cake tastes coffee flavored than mocha (even if there is chocolate). In short, I just try to make it work as much as possible.

Erica, pudding? If it is warmer over there, that could be the case (had that happen). What I would do is put it in the fridge uncovered and then use it once it settles. If it settles too hard, pop it in the microwave in 10 second intervals, mixing it every time it comes out. Did you measure by weight? Many times, while making the ganache, I just throw a handful or two of chocolate to make it extra firm.

CiNoRi Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:48pm
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Hrnnewbie, I use ganache on everything. I agree with you, some will not work on certain flavors. I never thought fondant goes well with fruit cake either. If it was me, I would use a very thin layer of white chocolate ganache in (for example) pina colada. For something like fruit cake, I'd probably use semi-sweet chocolate. For something like coffee (I've done this before), I just use a thin layer of semi-sweet for coating. With coffee cake and alternating coffee and vanilla SMBC filling, coated in thin ganache, I still felt that the whole cake tastes coffee flavored than mocha (even if there is chocolate). In short, I just try to make it work as much as possible.

Erica, pudding? If it is warmer over there, that could be the case (had that happen). What I would do is put it in the fridge uncovered and then use it once it settles. If it settles too hard, pop it in the microwave in 10 second intervals, mixing it every time it comes out. Did you measure by weight? Many times, while making the ganache, I just throw a handful or two of chocolate to make it extra firm.

Thanks for responding!

It's not too hot... 70F ish outside... about that inside with the AC on.

Yeah i did it by weight... nexttime maybe ill throw in a bit more chocolate....

Being that is this soft <at room temp - and i will chill in the fridge first> do you think i need to worry about filling the cake? I just worry that once it is not chilled/ and it will set out till saturday that the cake might "leak"? I plan to do a BC dam, and crumbcoat/ ice in BC, then fondant.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 19 May 2011 , 5:10pm
post #37 of 48

I have been working on ganache for the first time now for 2 days!!! I pulled it out of the refrig and it was still runny so I added more choc. as I found out with white choc. you need more, 3:1 ratio thanks to Texas Sugar.

I re did it yesterday and left it on the counter and now I have a peanut butter texture!!! woo hoo!!! Now my question is now, can it be tinted to change the color? if so how, with gels?

and if its only covered in ganache will it hold up outside in the heat for a party, AND LAST...if I use it to use as a base to hold a tapered cake together, and then cover in Indys stiff bc, will it hold outside?

thanks!

Rylan Posted 19 May 2011 , 5:12pm
post #38 of 48

Erica, I had that happen (my house is 78 degrees the most) before. I personally wouldn't worry about leaking. Many times, mines do not settle "perfectly" on the counter. I refrigerate it and it becomes fine. Also, I refrigerate my ganached covered cakes before covering with fondant (that way you gave a strong base). Then I refrigerate my fondant covered staked cake until the day on the event (I never had condensation in my fridge). I once had a cake sit in room temperature for 2 days with no problems with leaking, sagging, etc; I had to throw it away since it was filled with custard.

As long as you measure by weight and follow the proper ratios and steps, I don't see you having any problems at all. Of course, a hot room is a different story. =)

CiNoRi Posted 19 May 2011 , 5:19pm
post #39 of 48

Cool! Thanks, I plan to work with this a lot more, I'm excited about using it under fondant, but i figure I need to do a practice cake once before this one. But just watching the videos and reading your posts... i know im going to love it!!!

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:40pm
post #40 of 48

i have watched the videos but cant seem to figure what kind of cake boards/drums she uses. any ideas? her comment on youtube is they are timber covered with foil but im not sure what that is. im more interested in the big one she used to secure the little one on to.

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:35am
post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Erica, I personally think the 1:1 recipe (by weight) will turn out runny or too soft for spreading. That 1:1 would probably be good for poured ganache and not spreading. The 2:1 (dark/semi sweet choc to cream) and the 3:1 (milk/white choc to cream) makes a spreadable medium that works well under fondant. Remember, the ratios are by weight.

Hi Rylan, I'm new to this ganache thing but am anxious to try it out. I think all cakes as well as yours (which look fantastic by the way) have nicer sharper corners and the fondant is always flawless. My question is as far as the chocolate. Do I have to buy really expensive chocolates, both dark or white or can I use something relatively inexpensive like candy melts or chcocolate chips. I'm just wondering because when it comes time to cover a pretty large tier, wondering how much it would take to cover the whole cake

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:46am
post #42 of 48

Great tutorials, thanks!!

Rylan Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:03am
post #43 of 48

Jade, I use just the plain cake boards. Maybe she is using the foil covered drums?

Charliecakes, thanks! I've used cheaper chocolates before like Nestle. I've also tried Ghiradelli with success.

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 12:19pm
post #44 of 48

Thanks Rylan. Going to try it this weekend

cakesalone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalone Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 1:26pm
post #45 of 48

I am probably missed this in the thread or the 1 of the many other threads on the forums but...can I use luster dust on ganache? I want to make the face of a penny and had the crazy idea to use ganache and then maybe buttercream for Abe and the letters, then luster dust the whole cake.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 5:33pm
post #46 of 48

I was going to make a cake this weekend and try the ganache, but I'm not sure how much to make. I will probably make a 9" cake and use the ganache as a filling and cover the cake. How much would you recommend I make? I've never used ganache before so I haven't a clue where to start.

Thank you for posting these videos!!

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 11:35pm
post #47 of 48

800grams of chocolate should do it if you are only filling once and covering the cake. Make sure you don't use melts.. the higher the cocoa butter content the better the results.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:10pm
post #48 of 48

Wonderful - thanks so much for this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%