Silicone Moulds And Isomalt...help!!!!!!!

Sugar Work By ehjcreations Updated 19 May 2011 , 2:44am by VaBelle

ehjcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehjcreations Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 6

How do I get the isomalt into my small gem silicone mould? I can not get any detail on the gems and the gems are not flat on the back. I also keep getting "spider webs" all over the place. I have been using a small spoon to transfer the melted isomalt into the moulds. Is there some sort of pipet that can withstand the heat of the sugar? How do I do this? I am sooooo irritated!!! Please help me!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif

5 replies
MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 6

I don't have the answer to your question, but I am curious to know since I've been thinking about the isomalt in the silicone molds. But, what I would suggest is calling Global Sugar Art, who carries that product, and ask them. I order lots of stuff from them & they are always VERY helpful. They have an 'instruction' section on their site too. Maybe the info is there?? Or call the place where you ordered them and perhaps they can help you. Good luck!

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 17 May 2011 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 6

The folks at GSA are very knowledgeable about their products. From the looks of their website I think that Alan has personally used every product he sells!!!! I want to start using the isomalt "someday" so I'm curious as well.

If they can't help, what about First Impression Molds? I'm sure they could tell you how to use the product as well.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 6

Isomalt doesn't really work well in silicon molds. Silicon will gas when a very hot substance like Isomalt is poured into it. For gems, you're better off getting the white plastic molds from Country Kitchen. They sell a set with a ton of sizes.

ehjcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehjcreations Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you!!! That Country Kitchen website is amazing!!! They molds are cheap!!!! Very helpful!!!! THANKS A BUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 19 May 2011 , 2:44am
post #6 of 6

it was suggested to me when I first bought the isomalt sticks to use a square or diamond shape silicone cup. I bought some diamond shaped ones and they work great. Once the isomalt is melted, I put a couple extra underneath since they get hot and use the corner to pour. I just tried it with some small gems and it worked great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%