Cake Sinking In The Middle.. Help

Baking By marlee6996 Updated 23 May 2011 , 2:13pm by marlee6996

marlee6996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marlee6996 Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 10

I was using the box mix and doctored according to recipe I found here. As in the extra egg, box of pudding and the FV creamer instead of water. So far like 5 of them have sunk in the middle. Any ideas on what is going wrong. Please help!!!

Brandi

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 May 2011 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 10

What pan size is it? How long are you baking it? What temp are you bakin git?

Are they sinking before or after it comes out of the oven?

If it is before it come out of the oven there could be something that is out of balance with the recipe, such as too much sugar added (pudding and creamer both have sugar in them).

If it is sinking after it comes out of the oven, chances are it is under baked.

marlee6996 Posted 18 May 2011 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 10

It is falling before I pull it from the oven. I also add about 1/4 cup flour.
It has been in a 10 inch round pan, and I thought perhaps it was due to opening to check. I let it cook the full time and it sunk before I opened the oven door. I am unsure what is wrong. I found this recipe here so I thought it would be a good one.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 May 2011 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 10

It's possible your oven needs to be calabrated. It may not be baking at the temp you think. Do you have a thermerter in the oven? Not those $1 ones at the grocery store that's a small round w/a pointer that jiggles when you move it but a good mercury one.
You still have not told us what temp you are baking at or how long. And how bad is it falling? Is it just a small depression? Maybe you could take a picture so we could see.....that might help. It sure does sound like something is out of wack with the recipe. And what is the altitute where you live? Are you in the mtns? Or at sea level?
Why don't you try my *original* WASC recipe?

marlee6996 Posted 23 May 2011 , 1:34am
post #5 of 10

Sorry temp is at 350. according to the oven. I will be buying a thermometer tomorrow to check temp. It only sinks in some, Like a dip in the middle, not all the way to the bottom, but below cake pan line top, I will take a pick next time it happens. It also happened with cupcakes. Thanks again!

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:02am
post #6 of 10

I have used an oven thermometer for years I found my oven to be out of wack by
30* and it sure made a difference with baking anything.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:23am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlee6996

It is falling before I pull it from the oven. I also add about 1/4 cup flour.
It has been in a 10 inch round pan, and I thought perhaps it was due to opening to check. I let it cook the full time and it sunk before I opened the oven door. I am unsure what is wrong. I found this recipe here so I thought it would be a good one.

When I bake a 10 inch round I always use a flower nail to help with even baking. Also, you cannot rely on every recipe thats on CC as some of them are recipes that members have found on other links, and simply post them as recipe ideas. You need to pay attention to the ratings for the recipe you are thinking of making. There's star ratings. Some will have a lot, some will have none.

I don't know what doctored mix recipe you used, but only adding 1/4 cup of flour is not enough if you are trying to make the white almond sour cream doctored mix or variations.

If I'm making the WASC recipe, I use 1 cup of flour. Also, at the advice from a fellow cake baker some time ago, I switched to using self rising cake flour instead of AP. My self rising flour is Self rising cake and pastry flour, as thats the only kind of self rising flour I can buy in my shops.

I also use superfine sugar instead of regular sugar, another tip from my baker friend.. I do not add the whole box of pudding mix, I only use a scant half box. I also use 4 whole eggs instead of egg whites alone.

That aside, you really need to invest in a good oven thermometer, as your oven could well be over or under, the actual temp showing.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:32am
post #8 of 10

I also use FV creamer to add flavoring but remember reading that it is necessary to dilute the creamer in half with water because the fat is increased too much. I'm not educated in the chemistry part of baking but that might be part of your problem.

marlee6996 Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 10

The recipe simply said to follow box mix directions with these subs. Add 1 egg, 1 box of pudding, and replace the FV for the water. I add the flour to make it firmer, I guessed and put in 1/4 c, as it did not call for anything. First time it worked great, since then not so much. I will be trying that other cake mentioned above.

I also want to say thank you to all of you for your help. You are all a life saver to me, and so nice to be patient with me. I have just started really getting into this. I have always loved cake decorating, never so fond of the baking stress. You all make this a lot easier!

Thanks again for everything
Brandi

marlee6996 Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 10

The recipe simply said to follow box mix directions with these subs. Add 1 egg, 1 box of pudding, and replace the FV for the water. I add the flour to make it firmer, I guessed and put in 1/4 c, as it did not call for anything. First time it worked great, since then not so much. I will be trying that other cake mentioned above.

I also want to say thank you to all of you for your help. You are all a life saver to me, and so nice to be patient with me. I have just started really getting into this. I have always loved cake decorating, never so fond of the baking stress. You all make this a lot easier!

Thanks again for everything
Brandi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%