Found A Great Sifter

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 21 May 2011 , 11:20pm by sweetmonkeycheese

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 23

I just ordered this from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PZ9GU4/?tag=cakecentral-20

GET ONE! I have tried the hand squeeze types before...bleh. The flour would get gunked up in it. I have been using a regular strainer but that was too slow, and I not only have to do a lot of sifting for my pound cake but I also, when making doctored mixes, wanted to start sifting those too.

Well its baking day today and this thing will sift through a whole box of cake flour in like 10 seconds flat. I do have to cover the top with a towel because the rotating pieces will throw flour up, some, if you are going fast...but just cover it and crank away....and it works AWESOME.

So happy with this thing! Makes up for the ugly yellowed Wilton tall cake/cupcake stand I ordered from them that I am waiting for UPS to pick up today...

22 replies
sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 23

Yes, I bought this large hand crank model after frustrating results from other sifters. Now I just grab a giant bowl and sift away.

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 23

Thanks for this post! I've been looking for a decent sifter (not a squeeze one that makes my hand feel like it was gonna fall off!) Will definitely buy one of these.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 23

I have this, and I love it!

I sift everything into my containers as soon as I get it from the grocery store. I'm afraid of stuff in flour or sugar.

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 17 May 2011 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 23

Thanks so much, I added it to my "cart for payday" on amazon.com. Our shifter is old, holds 2 cups and goes slow.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 17 May 2011 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 23

Kitagirl, can I ask how you clean it? I had a smaller canister-type sifter, but it was impossible to clean properly and ended up tossing it due to built up gunk in all the crevices! I would love to get this large capacity sifter if it's easy to clean. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 17 May 2011 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Kitagirl, can I ask how you clean it? I had a smaller canister-type sifter, but it was impossible to clean properly and ended up tossing it due to built up gunk in all the crevices! I would love to get this large capacity sifter if it's easy to clean. icon_smile.gif

I'm just rinsing it out...after all, its just flour or cake mix or sugar in it. It doesn't seem to have crevices, really, to trap stuff. Its fairly well made, it seems.

Sangriacupcake Posted 17 May 2011 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

I'm just rinsing it out...after all, its just flour or cake mix or sugar in it. It doesn't seem to have crevices, really, to trap stuff. Its fairly well made, it seems.

Awesome! I'm so tired of using my strainer for sifting. Thanks for the info!!!!

imagenthatnj Posted 17 May 2011 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 23

You just shake it until there's almost no flour left anywhere and rinse it out. Then leave to dry upside down.

cookiedoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedoescakes Posted 17 May 2011 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 23

Thank you, the strainer method is so 5 minutes ago! icon_biggrin.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 May 2011 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 23

thank you, thank you thank you!!! I have been looking for a really good sifter. I hate the squeeze kind and have just been using a large net strainer, but it takes forever. I am going to order this today. Wouldn't you know it qualifies for the free super saver shipping for orders or $25 or more...and it happens to be $24.77! Ha, ha. Guess I'll have to order something else. icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 17 May 2011 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

thank you, thank you thank you!!! I have been looking for a really good sifter. I hate the squeeze kind and have just been using a large net strainer, but it takes forever. I am going to order this today. Wouldn't you know it qualifies for the free super saver shipping for orders or $25 or more...and it happens to be $24.77! Ha, ha. Guess I'll have to order something else. icon_biggrin.gif

I KNOW!!!

I found a hand held can opener I needed so did that....I hate when they do that though and you have to order something else!

I was using a strainer too but no more! This one went right through my cake mixes like a dream, too.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 17 May 2011 , 8:14pm
post #13 of 23

the sheet pans on the referenced site: are those the ones you can bake cake in (like on television)? and will a 1/2 sheet fit in home oven? thanks

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 17 May 2011 , 8:17pm
post #14 of 23

My mom had the crank kind, and always wanted one too. I bought the hand pump one and hated it..found out they still made the crank ones, and been buying them for gifts.
You can purchase a sifter just like that one for half the price at your local wal-mart, target or Kroger, I have several and didn't pay over $10 for them. they work wonderful and I throw mine in the dishwasher all the time..just make sure you dry it off well.

imagenthatnj Posted 17 May 2011 , 8:18pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaah

the sheet pans on the referenced site: are those the ones you can bake cake in (like on television)? and will a 1/2 sheet fit in home oven? thanks

You might be seeing other stuff. I don't see sheet pans. But here's some with measurements, so that you can measure your oven.

http://www.pastrychef.com/SHEETPANS_p_1271.html

And extenders:

http://www.pastrychef.com/SHEETPAN-EXTENDERS_p_1270.html

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 17 May 2011 , 10:49pm
post #16 of 23

Oooh, I love my new rotary sifter. As soon as I saw the thread title I came to look at this one thinking, "Gee, I sure hope they didn't get the hand squeeze type! Those are terrible!" Hehehe... Great minds think alike.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:13pm
post #17 of 23

I have had both the squeeze and the rotary... I like the strainer, crazy huh?

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 19 May 2011 , 7:51am
post #18 of 23

I've never used anything but the hand-crank sifters and was thrilled when they came up with the 8 cup version! Here's another source where they can be had for $19.99 and if you happen to need other things shipping is free with orders over $69.

http://www.cookware.com/Fox-Run-Craftsmen-4655-FRU1097.html

sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 19 May 2011 , 8:37am
post #19 of 23

I bought one at Walmart about six or eight months ago because I wanted one so bad and it was HORRIBLE. I have been told the hand squeeze ones are not good either so I went back to my trusty mesh strainer.

DaniNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaniNicole Posted 19 May 2011 , 3:57pm
post #20 of 23

So I am sold! I just ordered one, with one day shipping so I can use it this weekend. I bought a hand squeeze one, thinking it would be great - WRONG! It did not sift my box mixes at all, it was horrible. So I decided to buy this one, and try it out this weekend! Can't wait to get it!!!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 May 2011 , 9:33pm
post #21 of 23

I have this handled one. I find it a bit cumbersome. Be careful because it can fly out the top when you turn the crank full circle. I find I do it back and forth to keep it from spewing. it is more prevalent with PS than flour.

Funny, I have been looking for the hand squeeze kind. All of us who use mine do not like it.

Sangriacupcake Posted 19 May 2011 , 9:52pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniNicole

So I am sold! I just ordered one, with one day shipping so I can use it this weekend. I bought a hand squeeze one, thinking it would be great - WRONG! It did not sift my box mixes at all, it was horrible. So I decided to buy this one, and try it out this weekend! Can't wait to get it!!!

I ordered one, too! I'm so tired of making a mess by using my strainer and the squeeze-type of sifters hurt my hand. Can't wait to try it out--thanks for the recommendation, Kitagirl.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 21 May 2011 , 11:20pm
post #23 of 23

my mom had one of these when I was little, I use to love to play with it! Now I would love to have one, she bought me a squeeze one and ugh what a PITA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%