How Many Pounds Of Fondant For Each Cake Size?

Decorating By KJ62798 Updated 17 May 2011 , 4:25pm by stormrider

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:50am
post #1 of 5

I'm trying to estimate how much fondant to order for my cousin's wedding cake. I have her sketch for sizes and I found this grid at Satin Ice's website:

http://www.satinfinefoods.com/product.htm

It is unclear on the height of the cakes--will those amounts cover a 4in high cake or do I need to double the amount?

I wish it were just a matter of needing ivory but the design includes the DREADED PURPLE. Aaaack! I need both purple and lavender for 4 of the six tiers. I can get ivory locally but if I run short of the purple, that is much harder to find.

HELP!

TIA!
Kristy

4 replies
KJ62798 Posted 17 May 2011 , 4:16am
post #2 of 5

Bumping this so it stays on the front page. I really need some help so I can give my cousin her shopping list.

THANKS!

Kristy

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 5

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/fondant-amounts-to-cover-cakes.cfm

This is the chart I've always used. I'm not sure if you roll satin ice thinner and that's why the number is halved or if that is for a shorter cake?

KJ62798 Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks Sugar!

I'm going to adjust my shopping list for the larger amounts. I think Satin Ice does roll out thinner but I want to err on the side of having too much of each color just in case I have any problems. It is easy to find ivory around here and the local supply sometimes has purple but not lavender. I would rather not have to mix for lavender since the largest tier is that color.

Kristy

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 17 May 2011 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 5

An instructor in a class I went to suggested at least 1 ounce per inch you need to cover. So an 8" diameter, 4" high cake would need a the very least 16 ounces of fondant. I think the Wilton chart gives you a little extra which is always good in cake you're not centered perfectly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%