Best Way To Obtain Equipment?

Business By lrlt2000 Updated 29 May 2011 , 3:02am by lorenaortegarox

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 12

I'm thinking about starting my cake business (officially icon_wink.gif), and am doing some business planning. I have no big equipment like industrial ovens, mixers, fondant rollers, air brushes, etc.

What's the best way to find this stuff without breaking the bank (considering it's all on my own until my business starts earning money!)?

Any advice appreciated!

11 replies
VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 12

I was very lucky in the fact that I found alot of the things that I needed on a local sales website, and also an online auction that was close by. This saved alot of money on shipping, because I was able to pick everything up myself. Maybe there are similar things in your area. If you will tell me where you are located, I can try to help you search out these options in your area.

RussellsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RussellsCakes Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 12

Some things I wouldn't buy used, such as an airbrush. Things that will be put through a lot of use, or you want to have precision with, buy new! Do your research and invest wisely. Money spent now on quality will be money saved later on repairs.

Example, I just bought a kitchen aid 5.5qt mixer. I searched and searched. Up until now I've done everything with a hand mixer, think enough buttercream for a 3 tier wedding cake, with a hand mixer bought at wal mart. I was determined to use that until I found a GREAT deal on a stand mixer. I really wanted the 6 qt, but I found a 5.5qt that was lightly used for $150.

Great deals are out there, there are local auction sites in most metropolitan communities, things like craigslist (which is where I found my kitchenaid) are a good source, watch for businesses going out of business, or try to find local restaurant supply houses that deal in used equipment.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 12

Try www.auctionzip.com type in your zipcode and a calander will come up with auctions in your area

VickeyC Posted 17 May 2011 , 12:49am
post #5 of 12

I was able to find 2 display cabinets for $50.00 each. My 3 compartment sink was $200, my 4' SS prep table was like $75, shelving unit for dry storage $20, SS hand sink for $30. Those are the type of items that I am talking about buying used. I was able to save @ $1000 on the 3 compartment sink alone. As far as the minor things such as airbrush equipment etc., yes I agree buy new. But if you can save thousands by buying used sinks and such, I say go for it.

RussellsCakes Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:25am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickeyC

I was able to find 2 display cabinets for $50.00 each. My 3 compartment sink was $200, my 4' SS prep table was like $75, shelving unit for dry storage $20, SS hand sink for $30. Those are the type of items that I am talking about buying used. I was able to save @ $1000 on the 3 compartment sink alone. As far as the minor things such as airbrush equipment etc., yes I agree buy new. But if you can save thousands by buying used sinks and such, I say go for it.

Not an hour after I posted in this thread, I came across a bunch of bakery items from a place that had gone under just a couple of hours away. 3 compartment sink, prep table, mop sink, and a bunch of bakery boxes. I'm waiting on pictures and pricing.

Batteruptx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batteruptx Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:37am
post #7 of 12

Sounds like you hit the jackpot.

RussellsCakes Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:55am
post #8 of 12

we will see when they send me a price for what they want. they had the table listed at $100

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 May 2011 , 6:07am
post #9 of 12

My restaurant supply store sells new and used. Craigslist has plenty in bigger cities.

VickeyC Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 12

I wish you a lot of luck on finding all of your equipment for very low prices. If I can help you with anything, let me know. I love to find bargains. icon_smile.gif

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 29 May 2011 , 12:49am
post #11 of 12

Thank you everyone for great ideas!!

lorenaortegarox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorenaortegarox Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:02am
post #12 of 12

craigslist!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%