Milk Powder In Fondant? Anyone?

Decorating By cutiepiecupcake Updated 16 May 2011 , 11:57am by cutiepiecupcake

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:30am
post #1 of 3

Ok.. so after a nightmare run with homemade white chocolate fondant I've decided to try and experiment with milk powder to replace the chocolate. My most recent cake, even though I was super happy with the final result, gave me grief. I think it was the cold weather (snowing outside!) causing the chocolate to harden super quick.. too quick for me to be able to get a nice clean finish.. it was bunching up like pleated curtains down the bottom and was impossible to smooth out! icon_cry.gif Thus the need for the emergency draping around each tier - as it turned out, the draping gave it a really nice touch.. pheew.
I have experimented today with mixing some full cream milk powder into my homemade fondant (ApplegumPam's recipe) along with a touch of vanilla bean paste - needless to say it has turned out delightful! Gives it quite a pleasant taste, much like white chocolate! I haven't tried covering a cake with it yet.. but will do so in the next week or so. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this kind of thing with milk powder before.. and I wonder how it will hold up when covering a cake?

2 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:55am
post #2 of 3

Never heard of using milk powder in fondant.

If it's just chocolate fondant you have trouble with in cold weather would mixing the chocolate fondant with ordinary fondant help with that? Maybe a brand of fondant that is fairly soft to start with, like Orchard perhaps? Just a thought.

My only other suggestion would be to turn your heating up icon_razz.gif

I really loved that cake you made by the way - was the bride happy with the draping you added in the end?

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:57am
post #3 of 3

Hi Coral.. Thanks for your lovely comments icon_wink.gif I haven't heard back from the wedding party regarding the cake.. but the functions co-ordinator was truely taken in with the design and jumped on me for my contact details so as she could refer my business on to her clients.. big yay for me as it is THE most popular wedding venue in the area. Mind you, I will say that I would love to know what the bride and her father thought of the cake.. it was her father who ordered the cake for his daughter as a gift. It was a challenge for me as he was a bit vague on the details of the theme of the wedding other than it was 'rustic and quite Australian' lol. I didn't even know what flowers she was running with.. so I decided to go neutral.. not native.. not roses.. just nutty seed pods I guess lol.
As for my fondant.. well I don't know what else to do with this cold weather.. I had my heater blazing on full.. and my hands were quite warm.. but by the time I lay it over the cake it went - oh, wait.. you know what?! icon_eek.gif I have just had one of those moments.. you know, when the light switches on and you go DOH.. and you blush ten shades of red at your stupidity icon_redface.gif I may have just remembered about having 'set my cakes up' in the fridge so as they were nice and sharp and formed.. DOH DOH DOH. Oh man! The weather would have been cold enough to have just left them in a unheated room. icon_rolleyes.gif Ok.. lesson learnt. Hmm... I may still keep experienting with the milk powder as it does taste like white chocolate and if this weather keeps up it is nice to have a back up plan to play with lol. Oh wow.. I really feel like a donkey's ass icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%