Baking Cheesecake In Regular Cake Pan?

Baking By debgolden Updated 19 May 2011 , 11:18am by debgolden

debgolden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debgolden Posted 15 May 2011 , 11:31am
post #1 of 11

Hi all,

Was wondering if a cheesecake would come out of a regular 2" cake pan? I have a bride that wants a cheesecake wedding cake to serve 150 guests and my largest spring form pan is only a 10"? Anyone ever done with with any success?
TIA icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 15 May 2011 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 11

I have never done a cheesecake over 10" but would suggest that you line the pan with foil and leave extra on the edges. Then, once it is baked and cooled, you can just lift it out of the pan.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 15 May 2011 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 11

I have made 12" cheesecakes for a wedding cake and I lined the pan with wide foil and baked the cheesecakes. After they were done and cooled I froze them in the pan with the foil wrapped around them well. When it came time to make the tiers, I used foam board between each layer of cheesecake.
evelyn

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 15 May 2011 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 11

I also was wondering this question. But I only have to make a 6" cheesecake. The rest is regular cake. But it's a square cake, I found an 8" springform, but not a 6". I'm going to do practice run today, but that's because I have to try out a few recipes also. Glad I found your topic icon_smile.gif

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 15 May 2011 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 11

My family loves cheesecake and for years I have made Lazarus' recipe with graham cracker crust (Lazarus was large department store that is now Macy's.) Recently, I picked up "Junior's Cheesecakes" magazine/book. They use sponge cake for the crust. The book also gives lots of hints for making cheescake. This is now our favorite!! I think their recipe with the sponge cake crust would be wonderful for wedding cakes.

Nwbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nwbi Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 11

I have rectangular and square springform pans I use for cheesecakes. Love those pans. Won them it in a cooking contest.

superdupercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superdupercakes Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 11

I have made many cheesecake in regular baking pans by lining them with heavy duty foil that laps over the side of the pan. I try to form the foil to the pan as best as possible without tearing a hole. If you tear a hole in the foil, I would start over with a new piece. When the cheesecake is completely chilled, preferably, at least, overnight, then it should lift right out of the pan. Getting the foil off the bottom is a bit tricky for larger cakes. I have cut the excess off around the sides and left the bottom part of the foil on, then put it on a cake board. I hope this helps.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 15 May 2011 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 11

Here's a link to Wiltons 3 Tier Wedding cheesecake. Its made in regular cake pans & there's hints on how to unmold the cheesecakes from regular pans.
They do say to use 3 inch deep pans for the cheesecakes though. You might have to add a parchment collar to your 2 inch pans in case of overflow.

http://www.wilton.com/idea/3-Tier-Wedding-Cheesecake

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 May 2011 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 11

I only use regular pans for cheesecake. Line the bottom with parchment just like a regular cake, no foil needed. After it's baked (longer and lower in temp for really big cheesecakes), freeze it. Then either dip in very hot water or turn over and hit with a torch. Run a paring knife around the edge and it should pop right out of the pan. If you need a taller than 2" cheesecake (like for a wedding cake) I recommend baking two layers and sandwiching together with buttercream (SMBC is wonderful for this).

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 11

Junior's uses regular pans. I have used parchment with success.

debgolden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debgolden Posted 19 May 2011 , 11:18am
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone for some great ideas I will try! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%