Vodka / Everclear...? Never Used This Stuff...

Decorating By WhenTalentsCollide Updated 16 May 2011 , 5:59am by DerrellC

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 14 May 2011 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 7

So I've been reading people suggesting using these items as a "cleaner" for your fondant...?

Does this do anything to the flavor? And at what point do you spray the cake down with it...?

Any other helpful hints would be much appreciated. Some really great artists on the site, glad I found it...!

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 7

I have used it to spray the fondant to clean away the cornstarch or powdered sugar marks...is that what you mean.It evaporates so it doesn't change the flavor..

SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 7

And I use a paintbrush to wipe away any icing sugar let over.

cole10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cole10 Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 7

I used to use vodka to spray the cake down to remove excess powdered sugar before I started airbrushing my cakes. However, I always felt like it left my cakes sticky and took forever to dry, no matter how lightly I sprayed. Now I remove any excess sugar with a light dusting with a sponge and sometimes spray a pearl sheen for that shiny effect. Hope this helps.

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 15 May 2011 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for the replies and yes I just want to know how to clean off excess powdered sugar...

I may also consider rolling in corn starch as from what i read this seems to not stick to fondant as much...

I make my own fondant so it tends to be stickier than premade stuff, but tastes WAY better...

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:25am
post #6 of 7

You can also rub your fondant down with shortening to remove ps or cornstarch

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 16 May 2011 , 5:59am
post #7 of 7

Another use is after you fight the humidity and cracked fondent for several hours, just throw a couple of ice cubes,and OJ in with the vodka and take a well deserved break !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%