Topper

Decorating By buglady Updated 16 May 2011 , 6:50pm by buglady

buglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buglady Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a birthday cake and want to put a stuffed elephant on top. The cake will be iced with buttercream so what can I do to the top so the icing doesn't get on the stuffed animal. icon_confused.gif

6 replies
Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 7

make a plaque from fondant and put the stuffed animal on top

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 7

I would make a flat disk of fondant/gumpaste that is just a little smaller in diameter than the top of the cake. I'd make it fairly thick.... may 1/4 inch. You could use an impression mat to pattern the surface. Or put a "stitching" trail close to the outside edge. You could also place it on the top of the cake and do a royal icing "snail-trail" border around it to make it a real part of the cake. Otherwise, when you set up the cake, place the flat disk on the top and then set the elephant on top of it. If you want it all attached to the cake, then put some buttercream or royal icing on top of the cake and attach the disk. I do this all the time when I make fondant/gumpaste figures for toppers, partly because it helps distribute the weight of the figures. It also allows whomever the cake is for to remove the topper and save it as a keepsake.

If you do this, you need to make the disk at least a day before to let it dry and get hard.

buglady Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:07am
post #4 of 7

thanks i will let you know how it turns out

buglady Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 7

It turned out great. Thanks for the help. Here is a picture of the topper and finished cake.

buglady Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 7

I can't seem to get the picture to attach sorry

buglady Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 7

I posted the picture in misc childrens cakes
cakecentral.com/gallery/2037040

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%