White Chocolate Chips

Decorating By cakequeen50 Updated 14 May 2011 , 2:00am by scp1127

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 5

does anyone use actual white chocolate chips? I do not want white chips (vanilla flavored) that are most widely offered.
I want the ones with cocoa butter.
I used to be able to buy them at walmart, believe it or not.
I have checked CK, Restaurant Depot, the guittard website, atlanta nut company, googled "white choc. chips" and have had no luck.
there are plenty of recipes that include white choc chips but where can I get them?

any help?

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 May 2011 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 5

The internet or you can chip your own from a bar of white chocolate. I have a chocolate fork and it works really well for chipping chocolate into chunks without the powder. I got it from Sur La Table. For semi-sweet chocolate, the fork makes nice chunks to use in chocolate chip cookies.

By the way, I understand what you mean... I never use fake chocolate.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:44am
post #3 of 5

I went to my local Kroger and they didn't have them. ghiradelli white chips, nestles white morsels but no white choc., or anything
white with cocoa butter.
don't really want to chip that much white choc. I will keep searching. I have 1 1/2 weeks til I have to bake it.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:36am
post #4 of 5

I recently purchased Guittard's white chips which contain cocoa butter, but are still considered artificial: http://www.groovycandies.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=102374&idcategory=671

I've been wanting to try them since reading this great review: http://www.cookscountry.com/tasting/print/overview.asp?did=696

They cost me 20 bucks & some change for 3 bags, + shipping of course.
They're delicious!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:00am
post #5 of 5

The shipping is why I chop my own chocolate. And if you are using them in cookies, the uneven chunks look great. In the grocery stores, look closely for the cocoa butter. The packaging is misleading in most cases... Premier White Chips, Premium Baking Bar... no mention of "white chocolate" and no cocoa butter in the ingredients.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%