Perfect Fonant Still Struggling

Decorating By akahoney Updated 13 May 2011 , 7:16pm by akahoney

akahoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akahoney Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 9

How do I get my fondant to fit perfectly around the cake. I have been having trouble with my fondant. I did my daughters birthday cake last night and put powdered sugar down which helped it froms sticking to the counter I don't usually do this. I have used crisco in the past but the powdered sugar makes it easier to pick up and put on the cake. The problem I had was that it took the color away from the cake and it just looked all dusty after that.

The other problem I am running into is the fondant wilting at the bottom of the cake and lookign all wrinkly. Is it because I have too much butter cream.

I have only been able to get my fondant perfect one time. Still struggling.

8 replies
YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 9

You can use a food safe brush to "sweep off the powdered sugar. Others on here use steam to clean up the apperance and make the fondant shine. I've encountered the same issue around the bottom and the bc squishes out and the fondant looks like a wrinkled skirt thats had an accident. I used less bc the next time and it helped. Maybe some of the others can give advice. Keep at it-practice makes perfect!!!! icon_smile.gif

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 9

I think it has more to do with letting your bc crust before putting the fondant on. Also, if it gets warm, the bc might get soft and cause the fondant to slide. Make sure you're smoothing your fondant from the top down. Start at the top of the cake and smooth it around, then move down, smooth it around, and down again...until you have the whole cake covered. Make sure you have the fondant nice and stuck to the WHOLE cake.

That should also help with sliding.

akahoney Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 9

does it help to meringue powder in your buttercream?

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 13 May 2011 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 9

Check out "The Mat" at

it's great and worth the money. Makes rolling fondant and covering a cake with it a breeze. I roll out my fondant, but leave it inside the mat. Then I quickly frost the cake with about 1/4" frosting and smooth it. Then I take off the top piece of plastic and then put the fondant over the cake. For how to use it, check out the YouTube video above.

akahoney Posted 13 May 2011 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 9

Uhhhh Why does she make it look so easy!!! Wow!!! My next investment!!

akahoney Posted 13 May 2011 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 9

btw where do I buy it ?

YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 13 May 2011 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 9

You can go to the website www.sweetwiseinc.com and they have them in stock. It's reasonably priced too!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

akahoney Posted 13 May 2011 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 9

I am ordering one today!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%