I Am Terrifed I Am Going To Mess This Up!

Decorating By sebrina Updated 15 May 2011 , 2:23pm by sebrina

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:36am
post #1 of 18

I have made a few wedding cake now but this one has got me stumped! The bride originally asked for a round 3 tier canary yellow cake with big bold black polka dots & some fresh fruit as the decoration. She said she was not picky, wouldn't even mind being surprised with what I come up with from what she described. icon_confused.gif
I talked her out of a all yellow cake & her mom asked if she could do a fruit plate instead of fruit on the cake. Sooo.... now she just wants to be surprised. icon_sad.gif The only other guidelines she has given me is - simple and bold and not too busy.
I have never come across someone that does not have an absolute plan for their wedding cake before! I thought every girl dreamed about every detail of their wedding.
To make matters worse, I don't know the bride that well. They are both in their mid to early twenties & have kind of a rock-a-billy style. The cake topper was made by the groom & is a simple wooden heart with their initials engraved on it.
Any ideas would be REALLY appreciated!

17 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:01am
post #2 of 18

Wooden heart sounds like they are Elvis fans! Rockabilly style is a cool one to play around with...I would stick with the canary yellow and bold black contrasting decorations.

If you google 50s fashion and fabric images, rockabilly images, etc you will get a better idea of the 'style' as such. Think bold, but feminine. Red is another popular rockabilly colour.

One thing that did spring to mind was the flared skirts, and neck ties the girls would wear - you could easily feature these elements in fondant somehow. (eg on a three-tier - on the base tier or the board make a flared 'skirt' of black polkadots on yellow?)

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
can2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
can2d Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:09am
post #4 of 18

If she is asking for yellow give her yellow. I was thinking an all white cake with mid tier covered in a yellow canary ribbion with a beautiful bow and a couple of (yellow) flowers to go on top of the cake to go with the wooden heart its simple and bold!!!

SUNSHINEMOLLY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUNSHINEMOLLY Posted 13 May 2011 , 10:21am
post #5 of 18

Some ideas, but in their colours. Sorry no idea really, just thought i'd pop a few on here
[img]
http://media.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/540513/bling_bling_wedding_cake_3.jpg[/img]

jakip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jakip Posted 13 May 2011 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 18

How about something like this but in yellow and black dots
http://www.maisiefantaisie.co.uk/cakepopup/audreyweddingcake.jpg

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom32008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom32008 Posted 13 May 2011 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 18

the first thing I thought of when you said the wooden heart and rockabillie was country, go figure. what if you do painted the teirs to look like wood grian to representthe wood carving, with maybe some leafs and yellow flowers.

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 13 May 2011 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 18

For something bold, I really liked this cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/26689

It's not my cake, but it think it would look great in yellow and black. I'm not sure how the topper would look with that color scheme, but the cake would also look nice in yellow and white. In yellow and white, it would also not seem so busy.

sebrina Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:03am
post #10 of 18

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions! Some of which I will be keeping for future cakes! thumbs_up.gif I used this one for inspiration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

http://hudsoncakery.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/pink-brooch-cake.jpg (use more brooches, make them yellow, of course)

And this is how it turned out...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2033555

I actually love it! Thank you all again! icon_biggrin.gif

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:52am
post #11 of 18

With so little help from the bride, you did a fabulous job! thumbs_up.gif

Karadactyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karadactyl Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:52am
post #12 of 18

Gorgeous!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:06pm
post #13 of 18

Beautiful!

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:38pm
post #14 of 18

Love the design - dots with personality!

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:46pm
post #15 of 18

Great job - the topper is really cute as well

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:15pm
post #16 of 18

Don't like the topper with it (wish it was outlined in black) but the cake is SPOT ON! Great Job.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 14 May 2011 , 5:46pm
post #17 of 18

Well done!

sebrina Posted 15 May 2011 , 2:23pm
post #18 of 18

Thank you all so much for the wonderful & encouraging comments! icon_biggrin.gif I received more views & comments & favs on this cake than I ever have on anything! And I was told, at some point I had the #1 spot for most saved of the day! And i have never even landed on the home page before! icon_lol.gif So thanks again to everyone that helped with the inspiration!

As for the topper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandstuff

Great job - the topper is really cute as well

&

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

Don't like the topper with it (wish it was outlined in black) but the cake is SPOT ON! Great Job.

The groom made the topper himself. So, just the idea of that makes me love the topper. He seems to be a little more country & she is a little more rock & roll. So, for the couple, it was a perfect match. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%