Fondant Trouble Please Help!

Baking By jewordsoflife Updated 12 May 2011 , 9:14pm by Kaykaymay

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 12 May 2011 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, this is not the first time that I've had troubles with MMF. So, I decided to post a picture in hopes that someone can enlighten me on what's wrong and what I can do to fix it! I have thought that it was too dry so I've added more crisco. Didn't work. Then tried adding a little light corn syrup. Didn't help. This happened to me last week when I was out of town and I tried glycerin but that didn't help either icon_cry.gif I'm at a loss! Can someone please help me! I have a cake for my daughter's graduation this weekend and I've got to get this figured out!! I'm running out of time and confidence icon_sad.gif
TIA!

4 replies
langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 5

I've found that MMF works best if you make it three or four days in advance, knead it well, coat it in shortening, wrap it in plastic wrap and then put it in a zip top bag and leave it on the counter until you want to use it. It doesn't spoil.

When you want to use it, take fist size chunks out, heat in the microwave for 5 or 6 seconds and then knead it until it becomes soft and pliable. Do the same for the remainder. Then put them all together and knead some more. Add shortening if needed.

You can't knead it too much.

I've also found that adding the color before mixing tends to make it crumbly, especially if you are making dark colors like red or black.

jewordsoflife Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by langranny

I've found that MMF works best if you make it three or four days in advance, knead it well, coat it in shortening, wrap it in plastic wrap and then put it in a zip top bag and leave it on the counter until you want to use it. It doesn't spoil.

When you want to use it, take fist size chunks out, heat in the microwave for 5 or 6 seconds and then knead it until it becomes soft and pliable. Do the same for the remainder. Then put them all together and knead some more. Add shortening if needed.

You can't knead it too much.

I've also found that adding the color before mixing tends to make it crumbly, especially if you are making dark colors like red or black.

I have actually done everything you've suggested. I made my fondant about two weeks ago before i went out of town so I'd be ahead of the game icon_razz.gif I am using allot of color in the fondant and it is crumbly. Can it be salvaged? I'm trying to upload a picture but I can't figure out how to do that either icon_confused.gif

jewordsoflife Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 5

Ok, I've now tried three times to attach a picture and it's not happening. Can someone explain to me how to that too?
Definitely not having a good day here! icon_razz.gif

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 5

Try adding it to your photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%