I Hope I'm Not The Only One....

Decorating By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 14 May 2011 , 1:39pm by wildflowercakes

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:10am
post #1 of 30

That looks around my kitchen when I'm done making a batch of buttercream, and it looks like Switzerland after a huge snow storm...

29 replies
CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:26am
post #2 of 30

There is powder sugar in places you can't even imagine!!! icon_biggrin.gif
I would never leave my studio without a total check in the mirror. I don't know how the sugar gets in certain places!

brown_suga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brown_suga Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:26am
post #3 of 30

Nope! My kitchen used to always end up a sugary, floury mess. icon_smile.gif i've learned to cover my Kitchenaid with a damp kitchen towel when I'm making my buttercream, it catches all the flying powdered sugar so it doesn't end up all over my counter. icon_smile.gif

Happy baking!

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:41am
post #4 of 30

I refuse to bake at my mother's house for this very reason. I am a messy baker/cook. I've found tiny little powdered sugar footprints down the hall after my 2 year old comes in to see what I'm doing. My stepdad is a total neat freak who actually will stand in the kitchen and wipe up a spill that anyone makes (not just him) immediately. I can't imagine trying to roll out fondant on his countertop! I'd be a nervous wreck the entire time. Whereas my house powdered sugar is just another surface in my kitchen it seems. icon_smile.gif

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:48am
post #5 of 30

You are not alone!

YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 12 May 2011 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 30

icon_redface.gif Wow I feel better....I've told visitors when Im in my cake shop in my home that -I have yet to master being "neat". I have it on me from head to toe let alone the counters, work area, even on the back of me!!! I love this site...

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 30

My husband always says that it looks like a 'cake bomb' went off in the house. icon_lol.gif

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 30

I read on one of the threads here that they put a sheet on the floor to catch there mess. I'm thinking about doing the same thing. icon_smile.gif

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 12 May 2011 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 30

Go blow your nose after baking, making buttercream, airbrushing, rolling fondant....some might say you are addicted to more that just sugar! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 12 May 2011 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 30

I was visiting my mom in NC last month and she wanted me to bake a cake for my nephew while I was there. She keeps a spotless kitchen as well and she was always one step ahead of me cleaning up and not complaining one bit. I must say it was kinda nice not having to clean when I was done. I try to stay ahead of my cleaning at home, but it always looks like a cake bomb went off scattering every piece of icing and cake tool along the way.

MelissaJeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaJeane Posted 12 May 2011 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 30

Look under your upper cabinets too! It's every where just when you think you've gotten it all ....

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 12 May 2011 , 7:25pm
post #12 of 30

I can relate on that one too. When we were moving I was doing a final clean of the kitchen and found myself saying "how in the world did that get there?"

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 12 May 2011 , 7:33pm
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

Go blow your nose after baking, making buttercream, airbrushing, rolling fondant....some might say you are addicted to more that just sugar! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

YES!! only a week ago i was making bc and afterwards i looked like some kind of crazy cocaine addict!! Not Pretty!!!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 12 May 2011 , 7:34pm
post #14 of 30

So happy to be reading these posts! When I look at the beautiful photos people post I always picture a spotless kitchen (unlike mine which while I love it it is so small 7 metres that I always have things on top of things and when the icing sugar starts billowing.....) that it has come out of!

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:13pm
post #15 of 30

My Kenwood mixer has a splash guard - BEST THING EVER!!!!!

Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 30

I HATE the cleanup! lol I think, no, I KNOW that is the worst part of doing cakes, lol

RobinO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinO Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:28pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley51708

I HATE the cleanup! lol I think, no, I KNOW that is the worst part of doing cakes, lol

HA! I totally agree icon_lol.gif

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:50pm
post #18 of 30

Just the other day my bf and I were driving home from work and he was playing with my hair, stopped and was like, you have frosting in your hair... All I could say was "are you suprised?" I pick him up from work everyday (we carpool) and he usually kisses my hand and tells me whether I smell like chocolate, or sugar... It seeps into us I swear!

Talking about mess, I have a 20qt mixer and place a garbage bag over the top when I make frosting, keeps all the mess in, and when I'm done I just pull it off and I'm done with it. I don't see why you couldn't use a shopping bag or small kitchen garbage bag for a small mixer...

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:16pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingkat

Just the other day my bf and I were driving home from work and he was playing with my hair, stopped and was like, you have frosting in your hair... All I could say was "are you suprised?" I pick him up from work everyday (we carpool) and he usually kisses my hand and tells me whether I smell like chocolate, or sugar... It seeps into us I swear!

Talking about mess, I have a 20qt mixer and place a garbage bag over the top when I make frosting, keeps all the mess in, and when I'm done I just pull it off and I'm done with it. I don't see why you couldn't use a shopping bag or small kitchen garbage bag for a small mixer...

Wait! He kisses your hand???? Really?? Wow! I'm for sure living in the wrong house!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:24pm
post #20 of 30

Why would anybody make such a horrible mess as to have to put a SHEET on the floor? That's ridiculous!

Like someone else said, just throw a dampened dish towel over your mixer and you won't make sloppy messes. A 2-second solution.

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:29pm
post #21 of 30

He's not kissing her hand he's sucking the frosting off of it!!! lol

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:56pm
post #22 of 30

I have a splash guard AND I use a towel and I still find powdered sugar "mist". I am usually a really neat baker, but powdered sugar just defeats me!

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 12 May 2011 , 10:24pm
post #23 of 30

The other day I discovered if I wrap saran wrap around the top of my kitchenaidand bowl and stick it to the the mixer I can mix it with all of the sugar in at once and within a few seconds it's mixed enough to take the saran off and continue mixing. It has to be tight and a hand on the bowl helps to keep it there. I also discovered that you can't reuse the saran as it won't stick as well the second time around.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:22am
post #24 of 30

haha my boyfriend always tells me we must have powdered sugar in our lungs from all that flies in the air when making buttercream! lol he's always so dramatic, he calls it 'the sugar lung' (like 'the black lung', haha!). makes me laugh every time icon_biggrin.gif

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:59am
post #25 of 30

I'd think I was in the wrong kitchen if all the handles on my cupboards/refrigerator/microwave/etc weren't textured by the last batch of buttercream icon_smile.gif And why am I browsing CC.com at midnight rather than cleaning up the cake-decorating-mess in my kitchen ?????

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 May 2011 , 1:37pm
post #26 of 30

I have a hubby who cleans up as I go after me and I love it! Yesterday he started cleaning up around the top of the carved molding on the kitchen cupboards. It turns out that months of baking in the kitchen is leaving a white film along the top.

And a splash guard and towel is all fine and dandy, but the stuff gets in the air from measuring and sifting too. I stand back when I pour the sugar into the bowl because I don't want to inhale the sugar bomb that comes up as I pour, and this is with both granulated and PS.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:57pm
post #27 of 30

I'm a ganache girl.. and I manage to get it EVERYWHERE! Hmmm what's worse.. powdery cocaine looking dust trails.. or brown ganache skiddies that kind of resemble p.... well, let's not go there lol. I just went to my pantry to seek out some confectioners sugar to make a batch of fondant, only to notice my door handle is coated with a big ole skiddie of chocolate ganache. Some nights I come out looking like I've been to war with a full face of camo style paint lol. I have a beautiful hubby that let's me sleep in after a full night of decorating.. I wake to hear fits of giggles from my little princess playing with daddy in the lounge room and get up to a nice clean kitchen too. I am becoming more efficient with cleaning as I go.. I find that if not only my kitchen, but the majority of my house is organised and clean, I can concentrate on my decorating so much better (sometimes it just doesn't work out that way though!) Baking paper and a sink of super hot water for rinsing is my best friend at the moment.. especially when using messy ganached coated tools!

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 13 May 2011 , 10:23pm
post #28 of 30

We had BAD ants last summer, and it's never happened before, but they were able to tell me what else still needed to be wiped down! Even if I couldn't see the PS, they sure could!

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 13 May 2011 , 10:34pm
post #29 of 30

That's why I have kids: To clean up. If they want any cake scraps, they have to work for them. icon_smile.gif

Buttercream, fondant, batter.... I've found sugar and splatters on top of my fridge, under the cabinets, INSIDE the drawers and cabinets.... I'm a very messy cook.

One time I wasn't feeling too well and I had decorated a cake, the kids were gone and I passed out on the couch after I was done. I woke up to giggling. My son came home to find that two of my cats had made their way around the kitchen while I was sleeping. They climbed on everything they could and there were little powdered sugar paw prints all over the place, even on me.

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:39pm
post #30 of 30

I miss my kids! lol :0)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%