Covering Cake Board In Fondant Question

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 12 May 2011 , 5:18am by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 12 May 2011 , 1:53am
post #1 of 6

For those of you who cover cake board in fondant for weddings instead of foil:
1. Do you cover the whole board or just the edge that's showing?
2. How do you prevent finger indentations on fondant when you pick up the board to move a cake?

Thanks, P

5 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:11am
post #2 of 6

I just cover the edge, but it does leave a seam line at the back of the cake. I find it easier to do it that way. If you want no seams you can cover the whole board a day or two before you start the cake, which gives the fondant time to firm up and makes it less likely to get damaged. (You could also mix in some tylose or gum tragacanth so the fondant gets even firmer as it dries)

karencuppycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karencuppycake Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:30am
post #3 of 6

I cover the whole cake board then use a cake board the size of the cake itself, center it in the middle then cut out a hole with a craft knife. That way you get NO seam lines and of course you save fondant! Like Coral3 said, cover the board a couple of days before you start with the cake.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:47am
post #4 of 6

Finger indentations can be a little tricky, I think. You just have to be very mindful when you are picking up and carrying the cake to place your hands underneath the board.

I cover the whole board a good 2-3 days in advance of decorating the cake, usually on Monday or Tuesday for a Saturday delivery.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:49am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by karencuppycake

I cover the whole cake board then use a cake board the size of the cake itself, center it in the middle then cut out a hole with a craft knife. That way you get NO seam lines and of course you save fondant! Like Coral3 said, cover the board a couple of days before you start with the cake.

I learned a new way icon_biggrin.gif I put a small peice of tape under a cake board the size of my bottom tier and placed the cakeboard onto the base cake board BEFORE laying the fondant. Then I got my pizza cutter and just cut around the cake cardboard! Reason I tried it this way is because I kept messing up my fondant trying to find the middle of the board!!! icon_redface.gif

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:18am
post #6 of 6

Thanks you all and well, it's Thursday, and I haven't done the boards yet. Let's see if they'll dry enough....ahhhhhhhhhhh

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%