Crusting Buttercream Decorations

Decorating By A-ZCupcakes Updated 14 May 2011 , 4:15am by 2txmedics

A-ZCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-ZCupcakes Posted 12 May 2011 , 12:57am
post #1 of 9

I know this may sound ridiculous but I really need an answer. I have a zebra/hot pink baby shower cake coming up. I am trying to avoid using fondant since I don't have much experience with it. Can I use a stencil and paint on a zebra print onto crusting buttercream if I am extremly careful? Or should I just use marhmellow fondant and paint on that? Thank you in advance!

8 replies
saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 12 May 2011 , 1:21am
post #2 of 9

Whenever I have done zebra cakes, I use fondant zebra stripes and put it on a buttercream cake. You should be able to paint on crusted buttercream; I have never tried it so I can't give you any tips on that.

HTH

Sheryl

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:28am
post #3 of 9

I am making a zebra print cake this weekend. I plan on using only buttercream as well. My plan is to outline the stripes with round tip #2 and then fill in the outline, let it crust and then smooth it out. I use stencils all the time on crusted buttercream and it does not cause it to crack, if that's what you are worried about. Just barely tap on the stencil, just enough so you can see the outline in the cake.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:47am
post #4 of 9

you could also do a frozen buttercream transfer if you really wanted. Print off your zebra pattern, pipe and freeze the stripes, pull them off individually and mush into the cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 9

I have painted on crusting buttercream before, see my skate board cake. I have also done a stencil on buttercream, with buttercream icing over the stencil, so it can be done as well.

For the strips through, you can cover your cake in buttercream and then do fondant stripes for it. What is what I did in my blue zebra cake. It's pretty easy to roll out the fondant and cut the shapes for the strips, a good intro into fondant project. icon_smile.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 9

Hey Texas, beautiful blue zebra cake! Im doing my grand daughters 1st bday cake and my daughter thinks Im a pro...lol, yeah right! Ive been trying to figure out how to do this cake and going nuts since I only work in BC and Ive done a zebra tinkerbell cake along time ago when I was first learning in airbrush, its in my photos, well she doesnt like airbrushing and doesnt want it like that!!!

I thought of RI, or soft BC to stencil it on...but she wants the bows and flowers in fondant, Im gonna try it, I dont work well with fondant...but the zebra stripes...Im still lost and the shape of the cake...she wants...
this is what she wants!!!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1945672

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 9

The stripes are great with fondant, because you aren't going for perfect shapes anyway. So if they stretch a little in moving them and placing them on the cake, all is good. icon_smile.gif

2txmedics Posted 13 May 2011 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 9

Lol, ahhh Tex. Sugar....you make a person feel at ease, you should know by now, I can mess it up! lol

ok...so when and "IF" I make the stripes...how do I know where to place them and how soon after I make them can I put them on the cake, cake is gonna be bc....so can I make the stripes one day and on another day add them? or do they have to be done immediately while they are still soft and fresh?

I know the bow I have to do days before hand. I hope it dries hard though and not be drooping

2txmedics Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:15am
post #9 of 9

I just got back from Michaels and they have a whole new wall of New to the store Wilton poroducts....

They now have icing sheets with zebra prints and other prints, 1 sheets 5.99 and you can use a 40%off coupon, Duff's is like 12.99

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Zesty-Zebra-Cake?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4dc1eb573e3a32fd,0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%