Help! Frozen Cake And Fondant ??

Decorating By amberlee416 Updated 11 May 2011 , 11:05pm by Wing-Ding

amberlee416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlee416 Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 3

I froze a cake to make it easier to trim and then covered with bc and mmf but i just went back to look at it and the mmf has condensation on it from the cake thawing out. Will the condensation go away? Should i pull the other cakes out of the freezer and let them thaw before i cover any more? I am working on the biggest cake i have ever made and i CANNOT screw this up any help is greatly appreciated TIA

2 replies
SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 3

First, take a deep breath. Second, my cakes always get condensation on them and it dries up pretty fast, then I start adding details. I use Wilton's fondant, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Also, for the rest of the cakes, if you feel more comfortable, you can trim and crumb coat and then let thaw some before covering with your mmf. There will still be some condensation probably, but not as much. Be sure the room you are working in isn't to humid, too. Let me know how it comes out!

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 3

I've never frozen a cake for trimming prior to covering. I've been too afraid of the slight expansion that happens when the cake thaws. I've always refrigerated my cakes and that works well, and there's no condensation.

I've used Satin Ice fondant as well as my own recipe and if there has ever been condensation, I've never had a problem. Just don't wipe the condensation off. Just let it dry on it's own.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%