Talk To Me About Soaking A Cake??

Baking By sarascakecreations Updated 21 Jan 2015 , 8:30pm by MBalaska

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 10

Ok so I've seen and heard of alot of people soaking cakes or even just brushing on a wash of some types of flavoring... rum etc.

so how exactly does this work? wouldn't it make the cake so moist that it would fall apart? Is it better done on box cakes or from scratch cakes?

Can anyone suggest some combo ideas and how the heck to make the soaking liquid???

i.e. with white cake use.....

with vanilla cake use...

Thanks so much, very interested in this technique!

9 replies
princess_09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princess_09 Posted 11 May 2011 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 10

I've never tried it myself, but I saw a lady on youtube make a German Chocolate cake and soak it in creme of cacao. She poked little holes in the top of the cake and then drizzled in onto the cake for it to soak in, so that it wouldn't be too wet. Here's the link:

Hope that helps!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 10

You can use a simple syrup (cookequal parts water and sugar until dissolved) and flavor it with LoAnn flavorings or liquors or anything else you like. You don't soak the cake or it will fall apart. The easiest way to do this is to either brush it on or use a plastic bottle and just squirt it on. You don't have to hit every square inch of the cake if you use the bottle, just give a nice stream of the syrup and kind of zig zag your way across the cake. If you use a brush, just apply some and brush it over an area. Don't drown the cake though. HTH
evelyn

MilaniSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MilaniSweets Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 10

I soak my cakes a lot especially for my spanish clients because they always like the Bizcocho Mojadito which is a pound cake recipe soaked in the almond flavored syrup. Now the thing about this is when your actually making it don't add to much flavoring because what it does is when you soak the cake it could take away from the actual flavor. My clients always come to me for this cake because other bakers always add to much flavoring to their syrups and they ended up tasting like alcohol cakes. The same thing Cakegrandma said equal parts water and sugar then add flavoring to your discretion. Ive tried it on both cake mix and scratch cakes they both work perfectly. Also remove the cake from the pan because if you soak it in there it could stick and you wouldn't want that.

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 10

I saw that on one of the cake shows. They used a bottle and doused the top of the cake with it. It seemed like a lot, and I was wondering how it didn't make the cake soggy! They said they were using sugar water with some kind of flavoring. I think it was on Fabulous Cakes? The one where they were making the Las Vegas Showgirl stage.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 10

You can mist the cake with simple syrup - I've only seen this done on scratch cakes - keeps it moist and can add flavor if you wish.

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfullysweet

I saw that on one of the cake shows. They used a bottle and doused the top of the cake with it. It seemed like a lot, and I was wondering how it didn't make the cake soggy! They said they were using sugar water with some kind of flavoring. I think it was on Fabulous Cakes? The one where they were making the Las Vegas Showgirl stage.

I saw that episode the other night. That big squirty bottle was nice. They said raspberry liqueur was used. And it looked kind of pink so I am guessing it was Chambord or some knock-off like di Amore rasp liqueur mixed with the sugar water. I own liquor stores so I am always looking for new ways for customers to use booze. LOL I have brushed Kahlua on chocolate cake with success but never stacked one as high as they did on that show. I liked that they told how much the cakes cost. I wish more shows would do that too.

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozeBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfullysweet

I saw that episode the other night. That big squirty bottle was nice. They said raspberry liqueur was used. And it looked kind of pink so I am guessing it was Chambord or some knock-off like di Amore rasp liqueur mixed with the sugar water. I own liquor stores so I am always looking for new ways for customers to use booze. LOL I have brushed Kahlua on chocolate cake with success but never stacked one as high as they did on that show. I liked that they told how much the cakes cost. I wish more shows would do that too.

Yes, me too! It was a great show!

Kmedina86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kmedina86 Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 10

Yes you can soak a cake. I only do soaked cakes and they are incredibly moist. There is a chart here is Cake Central..that states the maximum syrup quantity that you should use per cake pan size.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 10

Been experimenting with the addition of simply syrup myself.  The first few times I used a pastry brush & patted  the syrup on top of cupcakes before I froze them.  Then I tried it on a cake.  It's kind of messy, and then you have to scrub up the brush.  So I found a these squeeze bottles on sale the other day, and I'll try them out the next cake that I make. the cupcakes were really nice and moist after being thawed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026K7FZK/?tag=cakecentral-20+bottle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%