Elevated Roller Skate Cake?

Decorating By KMKakes Updated 15 May 2011 , 6:05am by KMKakes

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 8

How do I make an elevated roller skate cake preferably with an open space underneath it (look like an actual shoe)? And what type of extra supports will be needed if any? I have been viewing the roller skate pics on this site. Yet only one so far has instruction for an elevated cake-yet it is for a roller skate cake elevated over another cake. My cake will not be on top of another cake. Just an elevated roller skate alone. Thanks in advance...

7 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:47am
post #2 of 8

I'd cut the sole of the shoe out of a piece of wood. Then screw in 4 dowels into a larger base board and screw the sole onto the dowels. Dowels should be around the diameter of the wheels) Around the dowels use modeling choc to mold the wheels (two at each end with the dowels going through the middle of the wheels or mold rice crispies around it and finish with choc modeling paste)

Either have a second sole to carve the cake onto and place the whole thing onto your prepared wooden sole, or carve directly on the wooden sole

KMKakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:37am
post #4 of 8

Is it possible to apply this idea to several thick layers of foam core board? Maybe glue the cut thick piece of dowel underneathe? Just asking just in case someone has tried this. I just can't see myself cutting the plywood with a hand saw.

Ursula40 Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:57am
post #5 of 8

Yes, I've made an elevated car using a styrofoam block underneath, jsu covered that with black fondant, so the illusion is there. You could use foamcore instead, no problem, just stich several layers on top of each other to reach the height you need, then cover with clingwrap, brusch on cornsyrup and cover with fondant

KMKakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks ursala40. I was wondering about the sanitary factors of covering the support system.

The wheels are now changed by request into cupcake wheels instead of fondant covered rice krispy treats. Would you stick dowel rods into the fondant covered cupcake wheels or would you"glue"the cupcake wheel down to the board with buttercream?

Ursula40 Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 8

You can paint wooden slewers silver and use them to help adhere to the cake. And yes use bc as well or royal icing or chocolate to glue to the board. That way, even if you see a bit of the stick, it will look like metal.

KMKakes Posted 15 May 2011 , 6:05am
post #8 of 8

Okay so the platform was a hit! I went to the hardware store and had them cut the plywood for me to size. They also cut the dowel rods used to hold the plywood up. It was a very steady structure. Only thing I need to find out a way to keep the cake/platform steady while transporting. The cake became very top heavy and the easily wanting to topple over. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%