A Pan Is A Pan Is A Pan, Right? Wrong.

Decorating By Nwbi Updated 11 May 2011 , 4:32pm by kristiemarie

Nwbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nwbi Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 14

You Pros probably already know this but I didn't so am sharing it with the other newbies like me.

I have been researching cake pans and learned that the lower the gauge number, the heavier the pan. For better baking results, go for the heavier gauged baking pans which will be the lower number.

Magic Line are 14 gauge.
Fat Daddios are 14 and 16 gauge.
Wilton brand pans are 18 gauge.
Johnson Rose are 20 gauge.
There are some low priced brands that are 22 and 26 gauge.
Cake foil is 35 gauge.

Aluminum is good bakeware material because it is an excellent conductor of heat and so your baking is uniform. Stainless steel bakeware is not recommended because it is a poor conductor of heat, thus distributing heat unevenly.

13 replies
cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 14

Interesting, good info.. Thanks!
I use the wilton pans, which by the looks of it are middle of the road, which work good for me since I'm just a middle of the road baker! Lol

Nwbi Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 14

I haven't even started the walk down the road. I don't own a cake pan yet. LOL.

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks for sharing your research. I accidentally stumbled onto Magic Line years ago and have no regrets. ML=best baking pans ever.

vgereis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgereis Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 14

Wow... but you certainly know a lot about it!! That's a great start! icon_surprised.gif) And I'm sort of just starting to walk... still have a longgggggg way to go! hheeh!! Thanks for the tip btw!

Vicky

MamaD77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaD77 Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 14

Good to know! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for sharing, I didn't know that either!

Mama D

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 14

Most of my pans are Wiltons, and I bought a ML one a few weeks ago. Just touching it, I could tell that it was different, but I didn't know why! Thanks for sharing!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 14

Magic Line pans are also straight sides and I also use the magic strips to get a moist and flat top.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 14

Then you get the out -of-this-world Goldtouch made exclusively for Williams Sonoma. Best pans ever. But very pricey. You can actually see a difference when you bake in these.

They are aluminized steel (combination of both materials) but have a ceramic coating. So easy to clean and very strong, they will never warp. Cooks Illustrated named them the best.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/usa-pan-goldtouch-nonstick-round-cake-pan/?pkey=ccake-pans%7Cbkwcakcls

YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 14

thumbs_up.gif I love learning new things!!Thanks so much- I may have to try this line.

Nwbi Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:35pm
post #11 of 14

I have also found that it makes a difference if the pans are Anodized.

Advantages of Anodized Aluminum Cookware:

The anodization process gives aluminum cookware a hard inner layer with a smooth, non-stick surface. Furthermore, this layer is highly non-reactive, which means that it won't be discolored as easily and it won't pass on any strange flavors to your foods. Some other advantages of anodized aluminum include:

- Won't dent as easily as regular aluminum.
- Food won't stick and burn.
- Easier to use requires less stirring and scraping.
- Washes up more easily.
- Scratch-resistant.
- Healthier requires less cooking fat, and no metals will leak into your food.
- Darker color retains more heat, saving energy costs
- Twice as strong as steel.
- Heavier weight helps it sit better on your heating element.
- Costs less than stainless steel, with many of the same properties.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 14

Sometimes, WS also goes on sale, but I don't think very frequently. Here's some more reviews. I just bought one at the beginning and then I slowly replaced all my pans with these. For people who are starting, maybe you don't buy a lot of anything until you've tried a few brands! Magic Line seem to be the favorite among bakers. I just never got to try those because I fell in love with these!

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/ibb/posts.aspx?postID=307496

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:02pm
post #13 of 14

Holy pricey batman! Those gold pans must be made of gold! icon_smile.gif
No, just kidding they look amazing. I purchased 3" magic line sets for everything except my sheet cakes, and then also bake 4 layers per tier. Love em to death.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:32pm
post #14 of 14

If you get real pans, you'll notice a difference right away. I love my Fat Daddio pans. I can't believe I used anything else!

If you want straight clean lines, you HAVE to get top of the line pans. You can't get the straight edges on a round cake without a pan that cooks the cake with straight sides. A square you can cut to make it perfectly square but it's easier to just bake it that way!

Seriously, even if you are a hobby baker, the next time you have money to invest in cake stuff....buy the pans. You won't be disappointed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%