Don't You Just Hate...

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 24 May 2011 , 3:15am by tryingcake

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 16

Don't you just hate when it is time to go the grocery store since you are running out of food at home and haven't really been in a few weeks, and nothing sounds good? Nothing jumps out at you with that yes I want to cook that feeling?

I'm sitting here with an hour left of work, trying to figure out what it is I want to eat for the next week or two, so I can make a trip to the grocery store when I leave here. I can't put it off, because then I'd have to wait until Thursday before I can go again, and I'm down to three eggs in the fridge.

I'm working on trying to spend less, so I know going in with a plan is a better idea. But at this moment I'm afraid I'll end up buying a bunch of random things I'll have to figure out how to work together, and then end up throwing stuff out because it went bad before I used it.

Since I'm also cooking for one, I really need to plan ahead so I can try to use up or freeze things for future uses.

What oh what do I want to eat for the next week plus?!?!

15 replies
Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 16

Chicken tacos!

TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 16

That could work! icon_smile.gif

I know I'm crock potting a roast, mostly because I'm running low on that in the freezer. And I'm makin some broccoli and cheese soup, cause I have broccoli from my uncle's garden to use up.

The chicken tacos would be something different, easy, and something I can make healthy!

Any other ideas? HeHe!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 16

Hmmmm. . . I think I want to eat dinner at your house this week.

TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 16

Laughing! Those might be the only three things I eat if I don't think of something else.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 16

What about fajitas? Chili? Pasta? You're making me hungry!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 16

Spaghetti, chilli, crawfish etouffee, pork jambalaya, chicken fricase' (sp), tamales, chicken alfredo. Okay, I'm hungry now. icon_lol.gif

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:13am
post #8 of 16

I did a roast chicken this week, I got to eat it as a roast the first night, I then made a curry out of half the left over meat and a chicken and mushroom pie out of the rest. Gave us three different meals. I also used the carcass to make some soup for the freezer , I just added all the left over veges and some barley.

To top up the freezer , I made a beef and red wine casserole.

TexasSugar Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 16

I ended up buying a roast. I'll probably cook it tomorrow with carrots and potatoes. Yummy!

Came into work this morning with another back of broccoli waiting for me. icon_smile.gif

I also bought some boneless pork ribs to bake or crock pot and some chicken breasts. Just gotta figure out what I'm doing with all the chicken.

Hopefully, after what I spent, I'm set for a few weeks and can avoid the store for a while.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:36pm
post #10 of 16

My DH travels a lot so I do the least I have to do for my meals.

My usual is a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of tomato soup. Homemade preferred but canned is also good. but for me it has to be Campbells tomatoe soup. I pour my soup into a coffee mug and drink it cause its more fun. icon_razz.gif

Or, two pieces of bread lightly toasted with a touch of butter and mayo with thinly sliced tomato covering each one, and salt & pepper is a must. I eat this open faced then have a piece of fruit with cottage cheese or yogurt.

Or, my tsk tsk, meal that consists of a can of baked beans barely heated, almost cold, a soup spoon, and buttered bread. Amount of slices depending on how hungry you are. Take spoon, dip in beans, plop onto corner of buttered bread and eat. Do this continually until the bread is gone but not all the beans. We all know what eating too many beans can do! icon_surprised.gif

Or, from a 1960/70s Mother Earth news. Take two large potatoes, cut them up, put in pot, add water just enought to cover along with a small onion chopped fine, and a bit of salt. Bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer until tender. Mash the potatoes in the cooking water, but mash them roughly, you need some bits to chew. Now add grated cheese to your liking, not to much though of you'll have strings, add more salt and pepper to taste, and a couple good sprinkles of white vinegar. Don't leave out the vinegar, its what helps make this simple soup.
Add a sandwich of your choice and you'll be full and happy! icon_biggrin.gif

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:40am
post #11 of 16

Chicken Tacos. Chicken Quesadilla's, Chicken Salad, Chicken Fajita's, Chicken Spaghetti, oven-fried chicken tenders, buffalo chicken tenders, chicken soup, white chili.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:40am
post #12 of 16

Hey Warchild......sounds like you and I have much the same tastes icon_smile.gif That cheese sand/tomato soup sounds sooooo good icon_smile.gif
For bkfst I often have spinach and tomato sands w/mayo... don't need that *expensive!* bacon icon_smile.gif

I also love cold or bearly heated beans.............ahhhhh such good eating.

TexasSugar Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:09pm
post #13 of 16

My evening meal tends to be the one I get most of my veggies in. My breakfasts usually consist of yogurt, a bagel thin with cream cheese or cheese stick with some other thing. Lunches lately have been more fast food, need to break that habit, but between those two, it makes me want a good home cooked hot meal at night.

Love the chicken ideas! I love grill cheeses as well. I'm not a huge fan of beans, though I'm starting to like them more.

rachel_n_jazmin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel_n_jazmin Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:54am
post #14 of 16

I went grocery shopping today and had the same problem. I usually tend to eat the same things because I am picky. I actually bought different stuff today. I got stuff to make roast and stuff to make chili. My husband has some deer burger that my dad gave him so I'm gonna make some chili for him with deer burger and some with turkey burger for my daughter and I. I like to cook chinese food so I got stuff to make beef and broccoli and chicken fried rice. I'm really hoping when I go through some of my culinary classes that I'll find different things I can make that I'd actually like.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:26am
post #15 of 16

Usually if I can't think of anything I want to get, I just look at the ads for the grocery stores. That usually helps me get ideas, and saves me a little money sometimes!

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:15am
post #16 of 16

I'm a caterer - I'm always cooking - a lot and for a lot of people! So at home for the two of us I still want great meals, but I don't want to spend all my time in the kitchen.

I try to think in advance of how one meal can feed another. For instance...

Roast a whole chicken or even a half chicken. No way can you eat that in one evening... but the next night or even two nights later there comes your chicken tacos! Maybe BBQ chicken pizza or a large chicken Caesar salad.

Make a roast, save the juices for some awesome beef and barley soup. Left over roast? Sandwiches (obviously), beef pot pie, shepherds pie, or make a curry:

Found online at http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2009/02/leftover-roast.html
cut up a bunch of veggies (whatever is around and you like is fine), sauteed them briefly, then added a big blob of curry paste, about a half cup of plain yogurt, a splash of water and some roast juices. Let that simmer for 15 minutes or so, adding more water & juices if it gets too thick, then added in hunks of roast just until re-heated. Very tasty and a good way to clean out the fridge!.

My favorite thing at home is to cook once - every few days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%