How Do I Make The Tips Of The Icing A Different Color?

Baking By ucfmissy Updated 10 May 2011 , 3:03pm by Chasey

ucfmissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ucfmissy Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 6

I have an order for cupcakes for a graduation party. They want the cupcakes to be iced in yellow, but the edges of the icing to be blue (school colors). I have seen this on different websites, but am not sure how to go about creating it. Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

5 replies
EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but when I want my cupcakes to be two different colors I put one color into the piping bag along the side of the bag and then the other color into the piping bag on the other side of the bag and then when you begin to pipe the frosting, it is two-toned. It's really a great look but not sure if it's exactly what your client is asking for. HTH

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 6

Assuming they mean a 1M swirl when they say "iced in yellow" and edges in blue, tinting the buttercream yellow and striping the bag blue would be a good technique.

However....I'm afraid your blue/yellow combo will make the edges green if you don't go dark enough on the blue!

sonandtwodogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sonandtwodogs Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 6

I think I know what you are asking. I use a paint brush and brush the color that I want on the tips inside the bag. Then I add the color frosting that I want. Just try a little at first to see if you are able to get the effect that you want. Makes very pretty accents.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 6

A ha! The frosting plug method should work to keep the base yellow and the tips blue. When they are wrapped individually in your bag and you turn your wrist the right way, you'll get less of the blue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%