Crisis! Cranky The Crane Cake Help

Decorating By sugardugar Updated 11 May 2011 , 12:17am by BakingGirl

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 4

I was asked to make this into a cake.
The problem is I have never done anything that involved a real support system. I am a single Mom in an apartment: no garage, no tools beyond the basic hammer and screwdriver.

How would I do this?

Would the bottom layer being cake, middle RKT, top layer cake wih a dowel down through it all support it enough? Or would I need a PVC thing that I don't have access to?

Thanks!

3 replies
sugardugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 4

Ideas?

sugardugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 4

Please!!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:17am
post #4 of 4

If you are using RKT I would use it to make the very top, as the top is slightly off center so you'll need it to be light. It is obviously tall and at risk of being top heavy, so it is important that the dowels are going through to the cake board to make it as stable as possible. I have used PVC pipe without having access to a workshop. I bought a tiny little hacksaw and cut it to size. I also bought a flange part that I recessed and glued into foam board, which I covered with fondant. That way the pvc pipe dowel was sitting solidly into the board. Go to your local hardware store and have a look in the plumbing department. I have found that the staff are always really happy to help when I explain what it is for, they seem to get a kick out of the unusual use of their plumbing parts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%