To Ice Frozen Or Not?

Decorating By Bubbl3h3ad Updated 10 May 2011 , 2:29am by tryingcake

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 10 May 2011 , 1:35am
post #1 of 5

Please be gentle, I know this has probably been asked but I couldn't find it in the forums. I'm making a cake that will be filled and frosted with buttercream and covered in fondant. I plan to bake ahead of time and freeze. Is it best to let it thaw and then frost it? Or would it be better to just frost it frozen and cover it with fondant? Almost all of my cakes are covered with fondant but I have yet to decide which is the best way to make it look perfectly smooth. I've always been afraid I would tear the cake up if I tried to frost it after it is completely thawed. Any tips?? This is going to be a 4-tiered cake with the largest tier being 14 inches. TIA!

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #2 of 5

You can crumb coat while the cake is still frozen, but you've got to let it settle for hours at that point, so it will thaw anyway. Then put on a layer of bc and then the fondant.

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:18am
post #3 of 5

Of all people, I'm glad it was you, Leah! And you are right, I forgot you have to let it settle before the fondant. Thanks for getting me back on track thumbs_up.gif

Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:19am
post #4 of 5

I usually ice my cakes frozen and put the fondant on right away. I have never had a problem.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:29am
post #5 of 5

I was always afraid to do as Geechigirl suggested until the last time I did a cake. Worked great. The next day it was still great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%