Wide Stripes Fondant

Decorating By Lizmybit Updated 10 May 2011 , 5:44pm by carmijok

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 9 May 2011 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 6

HI,

I recently saw an episode of Amazing Wedding cakes where they were using painters tape (very clever) to tape off stripes on fondant. I couldn't tell want they were using for the color. Will gel color painted on work or do you think I'd be better served using colored royal icing?

Any suggestions?

5 replies
socalcakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socalcakegirl Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 6

The gel color works like a water color paint. Its a lot of fun to paint on an edible surface.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 6

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1761915

I used painters tape and crystal color powder color to do the strips on this cake.

One thing I learned is that the tape doesn't really like to stick to fondant (at least not for me) and it doesn't couture to rounded surfaces when you are doing up and down strips.

My favoring thing to paint cakes with is airbrush colors. It is already thinned down, and it dries well. icon_smile.gif

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks ladies! I would love to have an airbrush, but it's not exactly in the budget at this point. Maybe some day soon!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 6

I didn't mean airbrush the colors on. I meant take the colors made for the airbrush and paint them on using a paint brush. icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmybit

Thanks ladies! I would love to have an airbrush, but it's not exactly in the budget at this point. Maybe some day soon!

you don't have to have an airbrush...just the colors used in an airbrush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%