Cake Mix's Or Not?!?

Baking By icedtoperfection Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 4:23am by AngelGirl123456

icedtoperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icedtoperfection Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 9

Hiya all,

Does anyone use cake mix's, and whats the advantages of using them over making your own from scratch?

I have started a small business from home recently and i keep coming across cake mix's they sound great and was wondering should i start using them as they would save lots of time and money.

Some people may consider that as cheating, whats your view?!?!

8 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 9

If you do a search in the forums on scratch vs box, you will get thousands of threads with varying opinions. But, when it comes down to it, just do whatever you feel comfortable with. Many bakeries use box, many use scratch.

Personally, I bake from scratch, because I have always done so, and because here in Spain box mixes are very expensive.

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 9

Dayti said it well! Just do what works for you! And, keep in mind that doing some of the mixes where you doctor them up can end up being just as or more expensive than scratch! I use boxed mixes, but that's mainly because I've never made a cake from scratch and my clients are perfectly happy with my cakes as they currently are!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 9 May 2011 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 9

What are you more comfortable with? I dont see baking from a box is cheating. It takes the same amount of work as baking from scratch. You put the same amount of time in baking.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:43am
post #5 of 9

As long as you tell your customers what you use if they ask, do whatever works for you.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:04am
post #6 of 9

I use boxed. I have three kiddos at home and feel like I can make it from the box faster, plus my oldest likes to help mix up the cakes and it's so much easier for him when using a box mix. I used to tell my clients, "It's just a cake from a box" but I had so many complements of how my cake tastes that I stopped offering the information. I do tweak it sometimes to make it come out more how I want it. Do whatever you are comfortable with and don't be ashamed if you use boxed. If they ask, tell! It's still your cake!

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 9

I would have a difficult time considering a cake mix "cheating!" I admire the purists who bake completely from scratch, but that is just one means to an end. I will use what I need to in order to produce a moist, tasty cake. I like using cake mix and doctoring it with other ingredients and sometimes the result tastes better than my "scratch" cakes!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 9

Do what works for you. Most of my cakes are doctored mixes (the Cake Doctor books are good). I always make chocolate from scratch. There are a few cake flavors that I use the straight box mix. I have experimented a lot and this is what works best for me.

AngelGirl123456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelGirl123456 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:23am
post #9 of 9

I agree with your forum!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%