She Told Me She Hated It...now What Do I Do???

Decorating By creativecreationsbykamica Updated 16 May 2011 , 6:34pm by jules5000

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 9 May 2011 , 9:04pm
post #31 of 68

I agree the cake was off in size from the original cake, and the missing dots. BUT did anyone else note the colors are NOT Coral and Turquoise?

The colors on the cake by the OP looks like baby blue and baby pink to me. Not the coral and turquoise requested. Most brides I know are sticklers when it comes to colors and this looks way off to me from what i know coral and turquoise to be.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 May 2011 , 9:21pm
post #32 of 68

Yes I noticed...but sometimes colors look different in pictures...plus I had no idea what the bride considered turquoise. It very well could have matched--and the OP didn't mention the client saying anything about color so I didn't see the need. But yes...the color...particularly the blue appeared to be more sky blue than turquoise which is more blue-green in nature.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 9 May 2011 , 9:41pm
post #33 of 68

and way different then sky blue and pink. If the bride requested those colors and you went by a picture not what the requests were then that is your fault. If she said that she wanted a cake just like thus and gave you a picture, and then told you, but she wanted turquoise and coral that is what you do. She told you that because she didnt think the picture showed what color she really wanted. I am sorry that you went to that much effort, but if I was that bride I would not want to pay for something that was nothing like I ordered. I am sure that she was equally disappointed because she would realize that she couldn't start over at that point. I would think that at least you could give her a big discount on what she had left to pay or just give it to her for the deposit.

I am not honestly trying to come down hard on you. I am just stating my feelings from the way the Bride must have felt when she saw it was nothing like she asked for. People put thousands of dollars in to weddings and receptions and to be truthful they are only planning on doing this once so they do want what they ordered and when they pay for it I can understand the feelings she had. Please try to understand it from her perspective and not all the hours you put into it. By the way Ihave not idea who this bride is. I just know what I would feel if in that same situation. Just try to understand from her perspective and offer her a deal. This way you still have a chance that she is onot going to give bad advertisement for you. If you make her happy by working with her then she ma be willing down the road to give you another chance. she may realize that it was more confusing than she had realized at first.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 May 2011 , 9:47pm
post #34 of 68

Really, really recognize your skill level before agreeing to copy any cake. The 2 posted looked nothing alike - I almost felt like I was looking at a Cakewrecks posting simply because the 2 cakes are so completely different - and I don't just mean colors and lack or rhinestones.

I can't believe I am saying this and I am also not trying to throw cupcakes, but I would feel obligated to refund most, if not all of the bride's money. You presented yourself as being able to provide a professional quality cake, despite telling her you've never made a cake that size... you must have given her some confidence you could at least provide a cleanly iced, stacked and fondant covered cake. Then you used professional software to calculate the cost of the cake and charged accordingly (regardless if we all feel it was too low or whatever). I'm really sorry to say the cake you provided is not professional, especially if the bride had PCB expectations.

Keep your chin up, don't be too discouraged, chalk this up to a learning experience and write the cost off like it was a wedding cake class... and keep practicing.

Better luck next time,

Jen

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:00pm
post #35 of 68

When she changed the design so drastically, you should have sketched it out for, put it side by side next to the original PCB, and let her see how it was not "that" cake anymore. Color swatches should have been collected, and the colors practiced if you weren't familiar with fading, or didn't have the proper colors to start with. A checklist should have been made several days ahead of time so you couldn't have "forgotten" any supplies at home.

An agreed to sketch, and dots properly done, and you might have squeaked out of this whole mess. Now you need to go practice a little more, and get back in there.

creativecreationsbykamica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativecreationsbykamica Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:50pm
post #36 of 68

Ok first of all I do have a legal kitchen! I rent out a kitchen to do all my work!
Second of all I knew what I was capable of and did it! She knew exactly what I could do! She had seen all my cake pictures! & in my book I have the pic that customers give me & my version! So she knew that it would not look exactly like the pic! I even gave her a few ideas of smaller cakes that we could make look like it!! But she chose not to accept! I'm honestly not worried about it any more!

But thanks for almost everyone's advice icon_smile.gif

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:58pm
post #37 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Really, really recognize your skill level before agreeing to copy any cake. The 2 posted looked nothing alike - I almost felt like I was looking at a Cakewrecks posting simply because the 2 cakes are so completely different - and I don't just mean colors and lack or rhinestones.

The bride - a supposed friend - should have asked for some reference pictures as well. If she was really a good friend, she should have known a little about her skill, she has a facebook with her work pictured right on there. PLUS if she was a really good friend wouldn't Kamica have been at the wedding?

To suggest that this cake should have been on Cakewrecks is pretty harsh. If the bride wanted a cake that looked exactly like the PinkCakeBox cake, she shouldn't have waited until two months before the wedding, she should have saved her money and she should have ordered a PCB cake.

Why would the two cakes look alike, it appears that the PinkBox cake has at least $100 worth of crystal brooches, rhinestones and gold monogram decorating those 6 kinds of cake which was photographed by a professional photographer and surrounded by rosepetals and candlelight. Kamica's cake appears to be in a drab, flourescently lit church hall with a plastic tablecloth and skirt, photo possibly taken with a cell phone.

It was my thought that these forums were to encourage others in our shared love of baking. It seems like many of the posts I have read places most of the blame on the baker. I agree that there are a few flaws in the corners and fondant ribbon but if the Bride wanted a carbon copy of the PCB, she should have gone to the source. If I get ready to buy a brand new corvette, I won't be going to Tom's Used Auto Sales and asking him to get me one that looks just like a brand new one.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 May 2011 , 11:42pm
post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDear

To suggest that this cake should have been on Cakewrecks is pretty harsh.

I didn't suggest this was a Cakewrecks cake - I clearly said that the pictures are completely different like you would see on Cakewrecks.

None of the posts are attacking - they are constructive critisism which is what Kamica asked for - she asked for honest opinions, I gave mine. She, by the way, seems like a great gal and has taken all of our opinions in stride with porfessionalism, so Kamica, thank you for asking and thank you for being able to roll with it all. It shows a desire to learn and a level of professionalism that will take you really far!

Quote:

It was my thought that these forums were to encourage others in our shared love of baking. It seems like many of the posts I have read places most of the blame on the baker.

MamaDear, I understand what you are saying, but if we all just prop up every baker that decides to join these forums without being honest of their work, especially when they ask for professional opinions, what good would that do anyone? I for one appreciate honesty in these forums... there are no trolls, no mean-spirited people, and no real jerks. How would anyone learn from others with more experience if those with the experience can't tell them what they really think for fear of being called "meanies"? How can you learn to refine your art if you don't get other perspectives? How do you expect to refine your talent? How would you learn to be a better baker?

Jen

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 10 May 2011 , 12:05am
post #39 of 68
Quote:

Snip

If I get ready to buy a brand new corvette, I won't be going to Tom's Used Auto Sales and asking him to get me one that looks just like a brand new one.

Do you realise that you compared the OP's skills to a used car lot? Seems just as harsh.

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 10 May 2011 , 12:16am
post #40 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Quote:

Snip

If I get ready to buy a brand new corvette, I won't be going to Tom's Used Auto Sales and asking him to get me one that looks just like a brand new one.

Do you realise that you compared the OP's skills to a used car lot? Seems just as harsh.

I don't think it's harsh! I've been doing cakes for a few years now, but to compare my work to PCB, I'm a used car lot! Maybe not one of the lots where they sell beaters, but definitely not a brand new Corvette dealer!

creativecreationsbykamica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativecreationsbykamica Posted 10 May 2011 , 12:17am
post #41 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimagining_Confections

I agree the cake was off in size from the original cake, and the missing dots. BUT did anyone else note the colors are NOT Coral and Turquoise?

The colors on the cake by the OP looks like baby blue and baby pink to me. Not the coral and turquoise requested. Most brides I know are sticklers when it comes to colors and this looks way off to me from what i know coral and turquoise to be.

These colors were matched to swatches she gave me!! They were a perfect match! So I just think she was calling them coral & turq!!

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 10 May 2011 , 12:32am
post #42 of 68

creativecreationsbykamica You were honest with the lady she has seen your pictures I would not give her a refund. That was the question you asked . I love it by the way are you legal really every time someone writes on here it becomes are you legal has nothing to do with the question.
Sorry this happened but don't give up no more doing cakes for friends.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 12:47am
post #43 of 68

I think this is what she asked you to do. It was her choice of colors and you were doing what she asked of you. I think your cake is pretty, the colors just don't seem like wedding colors, more like a baby shower cake. I don't really understand why people are coming down hard on you, you cake looks nice, and you were trying to please the client. You have talent, keep up the good work.

ninjacaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninjacaker Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:01am
post #44 of 68

Honestly, I think you owe her something for the missing dots. It doesn't matter if you didn't include them in the price-if you agreed to do it, then DO IT!

Also, never ever ever leave home without supplies. That is just insanity.

MamaDear Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:14am
post #45 of 68

@mcaulir --- If I get ready to buy a brand new corvette, I won't be going to Tom's Used Auto Sales and asking him to get me one that looks just like a brand new one. --- Do you realise that you compared the OP's skills to a used car lot? Seems just as harsh.[/quote]

That's not what I meant and I had PM'd the OP to get the basic facts before I posted what I posted. She knows that isnt what I meant. What I meant was that if you want a cake that looks exactly like the original...go to the original baker and pay the original price thus if I want a brand new Corvette I have to buy it from a Corvette dealer and pay Corvette Dealer price.

@FromScratchSF --- Your exact first words were - The 2 posted looked nothing alike - I almost felt like I was looking at a Cakewrecks posting simply because the 2 cakes are so completely different - and I don't just mean colors and lack or rhinestones. --- Then your exact second words were - I didn't suggest this was a Cakewrecks cake - I clearly said that the pictures are completely different like you would see on Cakewrecks.

When you say you almost felt like you were looking a t a Cakewrecks posting---it sounds like you are comparing this to a Cakewreck which it IS NOT.>

I based my comments about the cake on what the OP told me rather than guessing what the facts were beforehand. Don't worry from now on if I have something to say or support to give I will do it by PM rather than the posting method. I know from experience that the Bride is not always right based on several weddings from my past... all friends and family so there is no need to spank me again... I learned my lesson.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:55am
post #46 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristie925

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Quote:

Snip

I don't think it's harsh! I've been doing cakes for a few years now, but to compare my work to PCB, I'm a used car lot! Maybe not one of the lots where they sell beaters, but definitely not a brand new Corvette dealer!

And some would be a salvage yard and others a redneck car manufaturer... we come in all levels of skill and we all advance to some point. I know I cam through a few of those stages to get to where I am now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg10148

I love it by the way are you legal really every time someone writes on here it becomes are you legal has nothing to do with the question.
Sorry this happened but don't give up no more doing cakes for friends.

It would have been quite relevant had she been caking from home. We would have all flown at the chance for her to give the money back so the bride wouldn't pursue legal action. And it's great to know she rents a commercial kitchen and is on the up and up- that's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecreationsbykamica

These colors were matched to swatches she gave me!! They were a perfect match! So I just think she was calling them coral & turq!!

Then you gave her what she asked for and you can now spot a PITA before you agree to do an order.
Friends don't make great customers.
Based on the surrounding table scape or lack there of I would chalk this up to buyers remorse. She very well likely had champagne taste on a shoes string budget.

And while being charitable with compliments is nice, bolstering confidence in a skill level that is not quite there... is not honest or constructive. I wouldn't say I could do that design either. But neither did Kamica, she gave a clear representation of her actual work to the bride. So the bride clearly knew what she was getting. So stop feeding a need for a pat on the back that isn't here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I can't believe I am saying this and I am also not trying to throw cupcakes, but I would feel obligated to refund most, if not all of the bride's money. You presented yourself as being able to provide a professional quality cake, despite telling her you've never made a cake that size... you must have given her some confidence you could at least provide a cleanly iced, stacked and fondant covered cake. Then you used professional software to calculate the cost of the cake and charged accordingly (regardless if we all feel it was too low or whatever). I'm really sorry to say the cake you provided is not professional, especially if the bride had PCB expectations.

Keep your chin up, don't be too discouraged, chalk this up to a learning experience and write the cost off like it was a wedding cake class... and keep practicing.

Better luck next time,

Jen

Execution wise it is similar to what you would see on Cakewrecks.
But you won't find it there for the simple reason of all the changes the Bride wanted which totally changed the cakes design. And Kamica did not misrepresent herself to the Bride- she knew and was well informed by kamica that she hadn't done a cake of that size or design before and she saw her portfolio.

But yes follow the last sentance Jen said! thumbs_up.gif

kamica you held up your end of the contract with the exception of the missing dots. And like I said before it's a case of buyers remorse.[/quote]

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:04am
post #47 of 68

Mamdear, there's no need to be upset... Everyone was just trying to help, and offer constructive feedback. The OP doesn't seem to mind.

Also, these type of constructive topics actually really help newbies like me.. There's so much valuable information just in these 3 pages that I feel i should be taking notes!

Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:31am
post #48 of 68

I have to ask. Is this wedding cake being presented on a piece of uncovered plywood? The top looks to have contact paper on it but the sides look bare. No ribbon?!?!?

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:32am
post #49 of 68

I would not offer any money back. She got what she paid for. She knew your skill level when she chose you. You charged a price which matches your skill level. No it's not pcb cake, no it does not look remotely like pcb's cake, partly her fault, partly yours. None the less she got what she paid for. Move forward keep trying, keep learning. There are still cakes out there I would be scared to try and copy. Probably always will be some I'll be intimidated by as we are all artists, and the culinary field constantly changes and new techniques arise. If I haven't ever tried a technique and REALLY am dying to but know it's a risk then that is the design my family member gets on their gifted bday cake from me.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:58pm
post #50 of 68

Kamica,
She saw your portfolio--knew your level....
b)she completely changed design
c) she didn't have soft lighting, candles or nice tablecloth
d)Where would you ever get that much cake...even plain cake for $550????
e) If others you talked to said they enjoyed the cake and cake was upright and intact for cutting, not to mention the hot room guests mentioned ....
I would say there is no refund......what is boils down to is she changed the design and when she saw it in reality it just wasn't that $3000 cake. She went cheaper with a more modest cake decorator and knew it.

Just keep practicing.... (Just the thought of stacking all those cakes amazes me!) with your fondant.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:08pm
post #51 of 68

I would have the link to your personal fb page taken down if I were you!

I REALLY try to stay out of discussions like this.....but, unless you have permission to post the cakes pics you "want" to make, you need to take them down.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:25pm
post #52 of 68

Yes, some of the posters here can be kind of harsh...but they don't mean to be mean. They are being honest and really, isn't that what we all need once in a while?

I don't think your cake is bad. But I don't think it's in the same ballpark as the PCB cake. Mine aren't either (not even close!)

I can understand the bride being upset because the layers are not even and the fondant ribbons aren't straight. The one on the bottom is really wonky. The cake board is...well, not the greatest looking. You should have covered it or something. She paid a lot of money for the cake, despite it being mostly for ingredients. I'd have been disappointed too.

On the other hand, she knows your work, completely changed the design and expected you to produce the PCB cake. Which very few people can reproduce, let's be honest.

I am a little shakey on whether or not you should offer a refund. Just because you did 90% of what she asked doesn't mean she should only pay 90% of the cost. I mean, maybe to her, you ruined her wedding (I doubt it but who knows). I think you need to do what YOU feel is best. If you feel like you did what she asked, stick to your guns and don't offer a refund. We don't know the whole story really and you are the only one who can make this decision. She's going to bad mouth you either way I'm afraid. Many people who are disappointed in things don't even bother to let the person who did it know. They just stay mad, tell everyone they know about it and bad mouth you behind your back. So for her to give you any feedback is a good thing, even if it made you feel bad. The only way to grow is to hear what our weaknesses are.

I say all this as a bride who was disappointed in her wedding cake. I had a simple stacked three tier, with the picot (the three dots) design. It was butter cream and you could see the crack between the two tiers. However, unless the cake had been severely messed up, I'd never ask for a refund. But some people are just that way and will try anything to get a buck back.

Good luck with this. Not a situation I'd wish to be in.

rainynight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainynight Posted 13 May 2011 , 5:33pm
post #53 of 68

I'm not a cake decorator...at all. I just happen to love beautiful cakes and it is something I hope to learn one day. I've been obsessed with the cake decorating shows for years. With that being said, and coming from someone who has trouble icing a cake, I feel that your customer deserves a full refund. How much money and time you put into the cake doesn't matter, because in all honesty, it is not a professional looking cake.

Yeah, the obvious...she changed the design. I get that. However, the cake you provided is sloppy at best. I looked through your Facebook pictures and while you're a good cake decorator, you are nowhere near the skill level to even attempt to pull a wedding cake off. The middle square tier looks awful, one of the corners is completely slanted down and really throws the whole look off. The tiers are not centered at all, some have way more space on the left, some have way more space on the right, they are not even close to being on center. The corner on the first square drops down. The ribbons and bands around the cake are uneven and sloppy as well. I think if you were honest with yourself, which I completely understand is hard to do, then you would see that you did not present a quality cake and that in all rightfulness the client deserves a refund. I would do the professional thing and offer her a refund before she gets the chance to ask.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but I thought it might be good to hear from someone who does not design cakes and has absolutely no skill level. Just a quick glance at the wedding cake shows the sloppiness. As a professional, I think you shouldn't take on a project unless you know you can pull it off. I think if you took a step away from your bruised emotions and do an honest assessment of the cake, you would see that you provided an inferior product and by all rights should give a refund.

You can make cakes better than a majority of people. Most people are not cake decorators. Your cake is 1000% times better than anything I could ever make, but I'm a regular person who doesn't decorate cakes for a living. You are a professional and that cake is not professional standards, nor are you acting professionally. As a professional you A.) Shouldn't take on a project beyound your skill level, even if you warn the client ahead of time. B.) Be able to take an honest look at your creations and try to see it from the eyes of your client. If you would do that I'm confident you would see that your cake was no where near wedding approprate.

I pointed out the things I noticed at first glance, but after taking a minute to study it, more and more sticks out. So like I said, while your cake is much better than most of us (non decorators) could make, it is in no way a professionally done cake.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 13 May 2011 , 7:21pm
post #54 of 68

but I appreciate that someone who does not decorate cakes made a few comments on the situation because I think that she believes that we were all coming down on her too hard. I didn't have to even see the cake to be able to tell her that I felt she needed to give the customer a huge discount or her money back and that was just from the description of what she did say. You are right just because she tells the woman that ordered the cake that there might be a few things different does not justify the differences. Yes, I realize that the lady thought that she could live with those differences,but I bet that she did not realize how much different and the quality was not there.

I think that this cake decorator also does not get that this is someone's wedding cake and they have no time to do anything different even if she were to refund all the money. That is a pretty sad place to put someone in. The cake is going to be in photos and memories galore the rest of their lives they do not want an inferior product when they paid for a professional one. Again thanks for adding your comments.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 May 2011 , 8:30pm
post #55 of 68

Don't take an order for a cake you cannot execute. The client may not be able to envision your scaled down concept. In her mind, she sees her original cake slightly changed, not sloping corners and tiers stacked unevenly.

I just offered to make a cake for a relative as a wedding gift. It has piped dots on it that hurt my hand. I offered to replace the dots with dragees. She agreed and she cancelled her original cake order with another baker. Now she knows my limitations, but she still expects a clean cake.

MamaDear Posted 13 May 2011 , 8:41pm
post #56 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

...I think that this cake decorator also does not get that this is someone's wedding cake and they have no time to do anything different even if she were to refund all the money...

While I agree with some of the statements that have been made on this post, I still think that big part of the problem starts with the supposed friend (not simply the client). I think that the most important lesson for the OP is not to be pressured into agreeing to do a cake based on a personal relationship because if they are manipulative enough to get you to do something outside your comfort zone (just to save themselves some money on the final product) they will find fault with any mistakes and try to get more out of you.

The OP has had an indepth lesson in this kind of situation and whether she gives a full, partial or no refund at all I am sure she will be wary when dealing with this kind of situation as that is what life's lessons teach us.

Spiritual Blackmail is defined as "When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You."

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:40pm
post #57 of 68

Ya know after looking at your pics that sure is one strangely casual commercial kitchen space you are "renting" there! icon_confused.gif

- just sayin... thumbsdown.gif

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 14 May 2011 , 5:26pm
post #58 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1019

I have to ask. Is this wedding cake being presented on a piece of uncovered plywood? The top looks to have contact paper on it but the sides look bare. No ribbon?!?!?

Thats the first thing that caught my eye.

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 14 May 2011 , 5:48pm
post #59 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Quote:

She told me they were disappointed that they had to spend $600 on a cake that they didn't even like!

Quote:

Then she said well it's not like we had many choices on who to make it!!

I'll bet a Diet Coke she shopped around and could not find a better bargain for a cake that size! So for her to have buyer's remorse is uncalled for! icon_rolleyes.gif

And I just had to get my TWO cents in on this! icon_twisted.gif Your did great, so chin up and quit cryin' !!! Celebrate your mother's day TODAY! icon_biggrin.gif

Here are two more cents... We just spent $550 on our own wedding cake that served 50 people. Should I be complaining that I was overcharged?? In this bride's shoes it seems I should, but in the real world where I live, I know how much good cake costs (and our cake was delicious!). You've been offered some sound advice from previous posters here so I'll just say that I agree, let this one go.

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 14 May 2011 , 6:33pm
post #60 of 68

Cake decor aside...just a little bit of professional advice. I happened to look at the comments on the cake pic on your FB page...I would advise removing the comment about the bride not liking the cake. While I know that its a discussion that you and the bride had, it can appear as though you're "dogging" her in a public forum. It's one thing to discuss clients on here where there is some degree of anonymity, but on FB things can get linked to people very quickly...and can possibly get ugly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%