Giant Cupcake - How To Keep Stable?

Decorating By lepmer Updated 16 May 2011 , 4:50pm by CandyLady

lepmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepmer Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:14am
post #1 of 10

I'm doing a smash cake for a very special one-year old that nearly lost her life while hospitalized. She's been in the hospital for the last two months and is now getting her first birthday party. My part is her smash cake and I'm putting a bit more into it than normal considering the circumstances.

I'll be baking and assembling later this week, but I'm thinking that the giant cupcake I'm doing (with the Wilton pan) may be horribly unstable. I have to drop it off to them in the morning and I'm worried that it may not make it to the party. Should I use some royal icing to attach it a bit more firmly to the cake board? Is it heavy enough not to move?

Thanks for any advice!

9 replies
sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:56am
post #2 of 10

I made one of these for a charity auction and had to transport it - I used some melted chocolate on the cake board to keep it in place - royal icing would work as well.
And Happy Birthday to this special little girl!

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:13am
post #3 of 10

I made one, and it was fine. I didn't use anything other than the trim along the bottom, and it stayed in place.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:14am
post #4 of 10

I've done these before. I always attach my cakes with a bit of buttercream to the board. And then I run a dowel down through the middle just to be on the safe side when transporting.

lepmer Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:46am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the help! I'm doing the liner with the candy melts and will melt some for underneath just in case. I've had good luck so far...

Will post a picture in the gallery when it's done. icon_biggrin.gif

lepmer Posted 16 May 2011 , 5:36am
post #6 of 10

Just posted to the gallery http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2036463 They loved it and more importantly - she loved it. Thanks for the advice, it went perfectly!

This little girl is so special and it was my privilege to make a cake for her. She had RSV, strep A and pneumonia and went into septic shock. Her body started to shut down and as a result she lost several limbs as they had to amputate. All this at a year old.

Here's a couple of pictures that her auntie took of her with her cake (hope this works)...

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 10

what a lovely thing to do...and your cupcake was adorable. Why does the base of the cupcake look so shiny? Is it made from candy melts?

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 10

A sweet cake for a special little girl. It turned out lovely and it looks like she really enjoyed it. icon_smile.gif

lepmer Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 10

Yes it was made with candy melts using the pan as a mold. Turned out great! She's such a happy little girl, you just want to squish her. icon_smile.gif Ordinarily I wouldn't have posted pics with her in them, but her parents are very open with her struggle.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:50pm
post #10 of 10

sometimes we take a lot for granted but kids are resillient and we need to take a lesson from them. You are so kind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%