Bouquet Icing Sliding Off...lol!

Baking By zespri Updated 13 May 2011 , 4:51pm by Dustbunny729

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 14

I made my very first cupcake bouquet yesterday for mothers day, very proud, I think it's so pretty! However on the journey over, three of them lost their icing.... oh no! The first one went 'plop' onto my wrist. Because I couldn't let go with both hands, my husband (who was driving) had to lick it off my wrist like a vampire..lol When the next two fell I just thought what the heck, they can stay there until we reach the destination.

It was just for family, so not a total disaster, but can anyone tell me how other people manage to stop theirs from sliding off in transit? I did try to tilt the bottom row upwards just a little bit, have I not tilted them enough? Are there any other tricks for keeping the icing on?

This is it:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2027962

T.I.A.!

13 replies
zespri Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 14

by the way, if anyone has any advice on how to make the tips coloured correctly, I'd be very happy to hear them! I was aiming for this effect:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25655125@N04/3566458383/in/pool-23812557@N00/

But it didn't quite work out that way for me. It still looks nice, but I didn't quite hit the mark!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 14

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/coloring-icing.cfm

This page shows you how to stripe an icing bag.

I hope this helps.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 14

I just made 3 cupcake bouquets (for the first time also) this weekend and I too was worried about the icing coming off because it was a very soft (cream cheese) frosting and a very moist cupcake and well, gravity. I am happy to report the icing did NOT fall off. I actually wiped the top of the cupcakes off because they were so moist and refrigerated the cupcakes after icing so that the icing would firm up and I did NOT put the cupcakes in the bouquet until I was heading out the door. Actually, on one of them I brought the cupcakes and the bouquet separately and when I arrived at my destination. I put the cupcakes in the bouquet in the car! They stayed in the center of the table while I was there for about an hour and no slipping. I don't know if this is any help at all...sounds like ther was moisture between the cupcake and icing or the icing was too thin.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 14

I just made 3 cupcake bouquets (for the first time also) this weekend and I too was worried about the icing coming off because it was a very soft (cream cheese) frosting and a very moist cupcake and well, gravity. I am happy to report the icing did NOT fall off. I actually wiped the top of the cupcakes off because they were so moist and refrigerated the cupcakes after icing so that the icing would firm up and I did NOT put the cupcakes in the bouquet until I was heading out the door. Actually, on one of them I brought the cupcakes and the bouquet separately and when I arrived at my destination. I put the cupcakes in the bouquet in the car! They stayed in the center of the table while I was there for about an hour and no slipping. I don't know if this is any help at all...sounds like ther was moisture between the cupcake and icing or the icing was too thin.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 14

First I think your coloring is prettiericon_smile.gif it looks more natural. I just usually load a smaller amount of one color down one side and more of the other color on top of it. Also I place my icing on a piece of Saran wrap so I can control placement and portions of each color then roll up the Saran long ways and pop it into my piping bag. This is called the plug method I believe.

In to the icing falling officon_smile.gif one recommendation I read was to tap the cupcake onto the counter after it's iced. I do thus but mostly I make sure when I start making my rosettes that my initial contact with the cupcake has some pressure so the frosting isn't floating on the cupcake. I do have trouble if it's hot outside but I generally don't fight gravity and set mine to sit reasonable face up along the bottomicon_smile.gif I hope that helps a little.

zespri Posted 8 May 2011 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 14

Those are great tips ladies, really great, thank you!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 8 May 2011 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 14

I just remembered another trick. If the cupcakes are really moist, you can put a small smear of buttercream on the cupcake and then pipe the flower. BC seems to stick better to BC.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 9 May 2011 , 12:32am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

by the way, if anyone has any advice on how to make the tips coloured correctly, I'd be very happy to hear them! I was aiming for this effect:

But it didn't quite work out that way for me. It still looks nice, but I didn't quite hit the mark!

In that specific picture the tops are lightly airbrushed.

zespri Posted 9 May 2011 , 12:35am
post #10 of 14

nnnoooooo....... really? Oh I'm so disappointed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfishies

Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

In that specific picture the tops are lightly airbrushed.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 9 May 2011 , 12:37am
post #11 of 14

You can still stripe to make it look like that...Someone posted a link to wiltons site and another mentioned the plug method. The plug method works pretty well to do two toned.

I think your roses look wonderful, though, as they are. Very pretty.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 9 May 2011 , 12:41am
post #12 of 14

Don't be disappointed! icon_twisted.gif

Read the comments section (towards the end) and you will see that Amanda describes how she paints the inside of the piping bag! icon_biggrin.gif

zespri Posted 9 May 2011 , 12:49am
post #13 of 14

The disappointment was because the plug method with the stripe painted WAS how I did it, I was hoping there was another trick that I was missing. Clearly I just need more practice I guess! No worries icon_smile.gif

Dustbunny729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny729 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:51pm
post #14 of 14

I think your flowers are much prettier than the air brushed ones. Yours look natural and the air brushed ones look fake. You did a beautiful job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%