Possible To Mail A Cake?

Decorating By ajwonka Updated 8 May 2011 , 6:50pm by SharonK1973

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 8 May 2011 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 2

I've been making cakes for awhile but only locally. I'd like to make & ship a cake to a good friend in NYC (from Kansas City). Is that even possible? How would I package a single tier, 6" round cake? Would it be better to cover it in fondant instead of buttercream in case it bumps against the box? Thanks for the advice![/code]

1 reply
SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 8 May 2011 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 2

It is possible. I have done it and sent from Oregon to Texas, Indiana, New York and Germany. They have all gotten there intact and just as good as when they left. I use flat rate mailing boxes from USPS!
1.)Fondant covered with a fondant ribbon at the base. I usually make a stenciled decoration on top of the cake with flat fondant accents or royal icing.

2.) Make the board as close to the size of the cake as possible.
3.)Cover the cake with about four layers of plastic wrap, then top it with another piece of foamcore the same size as the bottom one.
4.)Tape that into place from the top to the bottom board at the 12, 6, 3 and 9 o'clock position.
5.)Wrap that in four more layers of plastic wrap and then bubble wrap with the bubbles facing outside.
6.)Put a layer of peanuts on the bottom of the box, then set the cake on that layer and fill in the rest of space with peanuts. Make sure its all tight in there.
7.)Pick up the box and shake it to make sure nothing is moving around. 8.)Tape, label and mail box.

The last one I mailed I even went as far as to drop in in the 24hr drop box! It got there in 2 days! In one delicious piece from Portland, Oregon to New York!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%