Pre-Made Black Royal Icing?

Decorating By kymscakes Updated 9 May 2011 , 4:18am by sewsweet2

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 8 May 2011 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 8

I have a wedding cake coming up that is going to be white with black piping. knowing how difficult it is to achieve anything in black I was wondering if there was pre-made black royal icing available anywhere. I have considered even using the wilton black premade buttercream icing in the tube for just the piping, but I would prefer to work with royal. I looked on the global sugar art site and didn't find anything. So I am looking for advice as to what my best course of action is.

Thanks in advance!
Kym

7 replies
soapy_hopie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soapy_hopie Posted 8 May 2011 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 8

you can also start with a chocolate butter cream and add black food colouring....it makes it easier to achieve black

paoli96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paoli96 Posted 8 May 2011 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 8

I've never had any problem tinting royal frosting black. I just use my black gel color and it is fine.

I do struggle with coloring buttercream the color black. I always start with brown and then add black so the taste does not become bitter.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 8

Zero problem tinting royal black- just remember that it takes a little while for the color to develop, so when you first mix it, it'll still seem gray and won't get any darker. Leave it for 20 minutes and it'll be black.

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 8 May 2011 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 8

that's helpful, thank you. I have americolor black gel. now is there a royal recipe that is better than others?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 May 2011 , 12:15am
post #6 of 8

I'm a traditionalist so I use egg whites + powdered sugar to get the consistency I want to pipe. Black isn't going to taste very good no matter what so I would skip any flavorings like vanilla or lemon juice.

Jen

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:55am
post #7 of 8

Royal icing is a lot easier to take a color than something with fat in it like frosting. The one and only wedding cake in my photos is piped with black royal icing. Just remember to make it and then leave for about an hour. It will darken up as it sits - tightly covered of course.

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:18am
post #8 of 8

When I make black RI I replace the water in meringue RI recipe with black airbrush color. Does't affect the taste that I can tell.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%