A Cake Pop How To Question!!!

Lounge By lsz1978 Updated 9 May 2011 , 9:51pm by Mamasan

lsz1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsz1978 Posted 7 May 2011 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 22

i am in the middle of making cake pops, and they won't be delivered until friday. i've read that they keep for 5 days out of the refrigerator and up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.

here's my question do they need to be covered in the refrigerator or not??

please help me! i have so much to do that i don't have time to make a mistakeicon_smile.gif!!!

THANKS!!!

21 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 7 May 2011 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 22

Definitely cover the cake pops. I cover everything so that items don't pick up flavors from other foods.

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 7 May 2011 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 22

I put mine in a ziploc bag and store in fridge until I'm ready to roll them.

pounds6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pounds6 Posted 8 May 2011 , 12:09am
post #4 of 22

I cover mine in a gallon size zip log baggie.

lsz1978 Posted 8 May 2011 , 1:06am
post #5 of 22

these are the cake pops i made how am i going to get them in a bag? Should i just cover them with press-n-seal? any other suggestions? will the choc covering be okay?

lsz1978 Posted 8 May 2011 , 1:09am
post #6 of 22

sorry, the pics didn't post i'll try againicon_smile.gif!

Mamasan Posted 8 May 2011 , 1:18am
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsz1978

these are the cake pops i made how am i going to get them in a bag? Should i just cover them with press-n-seal? any other suggestions? will the choc covering be okay?

Still no picture. Did you already dip them in melts? If so, no need to refrigerate. If you didn't dip them, just cover them securely so they don't dry out. I usually roll and dip mine the day before I need them. I've had a "mushed" batch in the fridge for a week now that I'm rolling tomorrow night.

lsz1978 Posted 8 May 2011 , 1:37am
post #8 of 22

here they are i couldn't get them to upload directly to this post, so i put them in an album and have attached the link here. lmk what you think!

http://cakecentral.com//gallery/2027490

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 8 May 2011 , 1:42am
post #9 of 22

Making cake pops 6 days in advance doesn't sound good to me. I wouldn't want something that was a week old would anyone else?

lsz1978 Posted 8 May 2011 , 1:50am
post #10 of 22

well, i did it because i have two other cakes i'm working on, and b'c i read on this message board that it was okay to do so! that's why i'm asking about refrigeration anyway! plus, i have three little boys tooicon_smile.gif. the cake pops will be fine as have all of the other cakes that have been made and decorated days in advance. what about those cake pops that are made but not covered and sit in the frig for almost 3 weeks what's the difference???

Mamasan Posted 8 May 2011 , 2:37am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsz1978

well, i did it because i have two other cakes i'm working on, and b'c i read on this message board that it was okay to do so! that's why i'm asking about refrigeration anyway! plus, i have three little boys tooicon_smile.gif. the cake pops will be fine as have all of the other cakes that have been made and decorated days in advance. what about those cake pops that are made but not covered and sit in the frig for almost 3 weeks what's the difference???

I bag each one in a little ziploc baggie and leave them at room temperature. My husband has eaten one at the 7 day mark (only because of Passover). He says the texture is a bit mushier but the flavor is the same. I would not be comfortable with someone eating one after that.

There's the condensation issue to consider and the possibility of odor absorbtion.

I have heard that dipped cakepops will last up to three weeks in the fridge but not undipped...

With that being said, yours are beautiful! Please let us know how they hold up!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 8 May 2011 , 2:37am
post #12 of 22

I make mine months in advance.... no one has ever had a problem with it

lsz1978 Posted 8 May 2011 , 2:53am
post #13 of 22

mamasan thanks for the info! yes, my cakes are dipped, and it won't be over a week. i'm covering them (air tight) and putting them in the refrigerator right nowicon_smile.gif. i'll let you know how they hold upicon_smile.gif

motherofgrace do you freeze them? are they dipped or not? thanks so much for the encouragement!!!

Mamasan Posted 8 May 2011 , 3:30am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofgrace

I make mine months in advance.... no one has ever had a problem with it

Please elaborate. I'm intrigued. TIA

SarahBim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBim Posted 8 May 2011 , 3:50am
post #15 of 22

Your cake pops are beautiful!I have never made cake pops before, but I have frozen a cake for about a week to a week and a half before I used it and the cakes turned out fine! When we cut in to it after I decorated it, it tasted like it just as fresh as any other one of my cakes. The key is to wrap them well. I think how you are putting them in the fridge will be perfectly fine! Keep up the good work! icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 8 May 2011 , 4:07am
post #16 of 22

I prefer to freeze them UNdipped, and I "flash" freeze them then just pop them in a ziplock bag icon_smile.gif If they are dipped, they are induvidually wrapped in foil or a lollipop bag (this is how I sell them).

HTH!

Mamasan Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:52pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:

I prefer to freeze them UNdipped, and I "flash" freeze them then just pop them in a ziplock bag icon_smile.gif If they are dipped, they are induvidually wrapped in foil or a lollipop bag (this is how I sell them).

HTH!

How does one "flash freeze" and are they on a stick? What happens they thaw? TIA

motherofgrace Posted 8 May 2011 , 10:59pm
post #18 of 22

same as you would without the stick

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 9 May 2011 , 12:09am
post #19 of 22
Quote:

HTH!

I do the same thing, but I just freeze them and take them out as I need them

Mamasan Posted 9 May 2011 , 6:49pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:

same as you would without the stick

Maybe I mis-spoke... How does one flash freeze (with or without the stick)?

motherofgrace Posted 9 May 2011 , 7:23pm
post #21 of 22

OH! sorry! I lay them out on a tray, and pop it in the freezer for about an hour, then I transfer them to a bag icon_smile.gif It prevents them from freezing into a big mound lol

Mamasan Posted 9 May 2011 , 9:51pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:

OH! sorry! I lay them out on a tray, and pop it in the freezer for about an hour, then I transfer them to a bag icon_smile.gif It prevents them from freezing into a big mound lol

Neat! I'll have to try that, thanks for the tip! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%