What To Use For White Sand?

Decorating By Frost-It-4-Me Updated 7 May 2011 , 11:39pm by Frost-It-4-Me

Frost-It-4-Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frost-It-4-Me Posted 7 May 2011 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 8

I need to replicate the white sands of Hawaii (never been there myself). What do I use for this? Is there a particular white cookie that crushes well, or is there something easier to produce white sand?

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 May 2011 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 8

How much sand are you needing? If just a bit, I'd use sugar.

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 7 May 2011 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 8

I haven't done it, but for some reason The chessman cookie from pepperidge farm seems like it would make good white sand when crushed.

Frost-It-4-Me Posted 7 May 2011 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 8

Just a little 14" square cake. They're pretty picky about it being white. I didn't think of sugar, might work! Thank you!

k4of9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k4of9 Posted 7 May 2011 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 8

Would powdered coffee creamer work?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 7 May 2011 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 8

The white sand in Mexico (haven't been to Hawaii) is not 100% pure white. I too was thinking crushed shortbread cookies. Maybe if you mixed shortbread cookies and the sugar. I worry about straight sugar because if it picks up any moisture it will clump...but if you mix some of the crushed light cookies in, then it should help keep things seperated. Trying to think of any other white cookie.... You could also probably dry out white cake and crumble it up. You could take white cake scraps and put them in a warm (not on) oven and let them dry out. I've done this with chocolate cake so it should work with white cake.

nemmie56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nemmie56 Posted 7 May 2011 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 8

I would try using cream of wheat because it has little brown specks and would look exactly like sand....the porridge, the breakfast cereal that you cook
And sand is not really white, white.

Frost-It-4-Me Posted 7 May 2011 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 8

All excellent ideas - thank you to all of you! It happens to be a white cake, so I think I'll try the dried cake idea, and have cookies as a standy in case it doesn't work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%