What Sizes Would You Use?

Decorating By caincakemaker Updated 20 Jan 2012 , 2:40pm by kaat

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 10

I am doing a stacked round wedding cake (4 layers) and need it to feed 175 using the top cake. What sizes would you use to make this happen. This is the part I hate the most...

Thanks for your help and input!

Angie

9 replies
BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 7 May 2011 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 10

I have read your question twice and am wondering if you might possibly mean they want to save the top tier.

A 22" round serves 170 and a 24" serves 195. I cannot imagine those being a top tier! icon_eek.gif Then again, it's Saturday morning and I'm already worn out!

If indeed they want 175 servings from just the three bottom tiers a 16" provides 100, a 12" yields 56 and an 8" serves 24 so that would give you 180 servings while saving the 6" top tier..

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 7 May 2011 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 10

I'm thinking you mean a 4 tiered cake, and I'm with you, I hate figuring cake servings, because every chart is different, if it were me I would do a 16"12"9"6"

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 May 2011 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 10

I'm assuming you mean 'tiers' not 'layers'. These round tiers would meet your requirment: 16, 12, 9, 6. OR combining rounds w/a square base: 16 sq; 10 and 6 rounds.
OR Six 6" hearts surrounding a stacked 15, 12, 9, 6" hearts would also be about right.
Need anymore idea? Use the Wilton chart for wedding cakes to figure *ALL* your serving.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 10

I do a 6/9/12/15 very frequently. That size yields 185 servings, serving all four tiers (not layers). It's proportional and looks great.

There's only one chart, because that's the chart that ALL caterers cut to. That's the Wilton chart for wedding servings. There's no reason to look at any other chart. It IS how your cake will be cut, it yields a perfectly respectable slice of cake and it maximizes your income.

Look at me praising something from Wilton. icon_smile.gif

newbie072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbie072 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 10

I do a 6/9/12/15 very frequently. That size yields 185 servings, serving all four tiers (not layers). It's proportional and looks great.

There's only one chart, because that's the chart that ALL caterers cut to. That's the Wilton chart for wedding servings. There's no reason to look at any other chart. It IS how your cake will be cut, it yields a perfectly respectable slice of cake and it maximizes your income.

Look at me praising something from Wilton. icon_smile.gif

Hi leah_s,
I am a newbie and I'm not sure if this where I supposed to post question.
Anyway, My question: How many servings are there in each 6/9/12/15 pans? I will be doing 4 tier wedding cake and these are the size's that I'm gonna be doing. The cake will be for 125 - 150 people but she wanted "dummy cake" on the 1st bottom tier or 2nd tier to make it a 4 tier. She told me that it's for 125 servings for sure (because she still waiting on the RSVP invitation response). Please help everybody...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 10

This is the chart Leah was refering to.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

6in - 12 servings
9in - 32 servings
12in - 56 servings
15 in isn't on that chart, but since Leah said the whole combo serves 185, I'm going to guess it is 85.

Just doing the top three in cake would give you 100 servings if they do serve the top tier.

Also remember while they may want 125 servings, they may have to take more to get the size of cake they want. Example, you could do the two bottom layers in real cake, giving you 141 servings, then the top two in dummy cakes.

Also when charging remember they pay for how much cake they are getting, not how many servings they need, since the amout they get is often more than that. You'll also need to factor in the costs of doing the dummy. Many people charge 75-80% of what they would charge to do a real cake.

newbie072 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 1:00am
post #8 of 10

Thank you Texas Sugar!
The bride told me that she is going to serve the top tier cake and and she will not save it for their 1st yr. anniversary. I get so confused about the servings specially on Wilton Chart Servings.

newbie072 Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 3:58am
post #9 of 10

Question: Does any of you out there bake 15" round shape cake in your home oven and How was it?

My oven at home measurements was: (18" width by 15" deep), I was just wondering if 15" will bake or even fit. I don't have 15" round pan but I'm planning on getting one this week. Please advice anyone!!!....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

This is the chart Leah was refering to.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

6in - 12 servings
9in - 32 servings
12in - 56 servings
15 in isn't on that chart, but since Leah said the whole combo serves 185, I'm going to guess it is 85.

Just doing the top three in cake would give you 100 servings if they do serve the top tier.

Also remember while they may want 125 servings, they may have to take more to get the size of cake they want. Example, you could do the two bottom layers in real cake, giving you 141 servings, then the top two in dummy cakes.

Also when charging remember they pay for how much cake they are getting, not how many servings they need, since the amout they get is often more than that. You'll also need to factor in the costs of doing the dummy. Many people charge 75-80% of what they would charge to do a real cake.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 10

I always hated trying to figure that out too! Then, thanks to CC I was directed here:
http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cakulator.cgi?chart=wiltonParty2Inch&option=2&option=Select+Cakulator&chart=Select+Chart&.cgifields=chart

Cake Calculator!

I love it! I can play around with different shapes and sizes until I get what I need!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%