Will It Go Bad? Please Help!

Baking By hellosweetcakes Updated 8 May 2011 , 4:55am by indydebi

hellosweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellosweetcakes Posted 7 May 2011 , 10:30am
post #1 of 11

I'm definitely more confident with decorating than baking, especially when it comes time to fill cakes. I'm making a three tiered birthday cake next week and woke up in a panic that the b-day girl will cut into a rancid buttercream filling. I'd like to fill and cover the cakes in MM Fondant on Friday evening for a Saturday evening party. I live in the Midwest, so not too hot right now, the cakes would be at cool-ish room temperature.

Here's what I plan to do. Can anyone tell me if this recipe/these fillings will go bad if left out for 24-30 hours under MM fondant?

Basic buttercream:

2 oz butter
2 oz shortening
10 oz powder sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tb water
1 Tb lemon juice

For the fillings I planned to mix in peanut butter for the top tier, crushed oreo cookies for the bottom and raspberry jam for the middle. This is the one I'm most worried about.

I've tested the recipe with using shortening instead of all butter and subbed water for the whole milk, and it tastes good. Just don't want to end up being the cause of food poisoning.

I'm open to any and ALL suggestions! Please help expert bakers!

PS I'm not practiced enough with ganache to cover the cakes, so I'd like to stick with buttercream. Plus the b-day girl likes the taste of buttercream under fondant.

HELP!!!

10 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 May 2011 , 11:49am
post #2 of 11

Can you put your cake in the fridge? icon_smile.gif

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 11

I use a similar recipe, never refrigerate my cakes and have never had any problems. I'm in Kansas. icon_smile.gif

hellosweetcakes Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks Wildflower!!! Do you think the raspberry jam mixed in with the BC for filling will pose a problem?

Karen, I prefer not to refrigerate because I worry about condensation with fondant covered cakes.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 11

I think your buttercream will be fine, but I am conned about the jam. I just use the sleeved filling, so I am not sure what you need to do to the jam to make it safer. Perhaps heat it and add more sugar, then let some of the wat cook out of it? Hopefully someone else will know.

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 11

I've been using a half butter/half shortening type buttercream for the past 30 years and all my customers, repeat and new, rave about it. It is just fine left in a covered container outside the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.....as long as it isn't hot and humid. There may be a little separation, but once you stir again, all is well. IF you are in doubt, then let your nose make your decision. You will know if you've let it sit too long.

RELAX!!!

Sorry... forgot to address adding the jam. In this case I would probably refrigerate. I also wouldn't worry about condensation, the type of frosting you are using creates a barrier so the cake inside won't absorb moisture nor will it dry out. Condensation on the outside of the cake will only form if your refrigerator is super cold and the air temp outside of it is considerable warmer. This time of year is perfect for cakes! Wish it would stay this moderate all year long!

hellosweetcakes Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks Maisy!!!!!

No condensation even with fondant covering?

I may just nix the fruit filling and stick with things that won't give me heart palpitations as the b-day girl cuts into it icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 11

If you refrigerate in a cardboard box, with everything closed off to the actual air in the fridge, you get absolutely no condensation. Just bring it to room temp inside the box.

OR ...

As far as the jam, try buying a fruit sleeve instead. One of those fruit fillings for doughnuts/pastries, doesn't need to be refrigerated. Easy breezy! icon_smile.gif

HTH!

hellosweetcakes Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 11

You guys are the best! I knew I could count on the CC forum for help!

Thanks!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 7 May 2011 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 11

I'm going to say this for the first time with confidenceicon_smile.gif the jam should be fine at room temp for a few of days. The reason I'm ok saying this is because TX has a cottage food bill in the works and it specifically says 'non-perishable foods like jams, jellies and cakes.'

If jam went bad in two days it would never make it into the bill. Trust me they went through a lot to determine what went into the bill. I believe it has to do with the added sugar and cooking process. The reason you refrigerate jam after opening is to prevent crytalization I believe.

I use jam with butter, ps and minimal milk or water for filling and have no problems. I will say go with what you're comfortable with but the jan should be fine. If you don't use it this time, do an experiment. Make your filling and leave it covered on the counter for several days and see how it goesicon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 May 2011 , 4:55am
post #11 of 11

Heck, i don't even keep my jam in the refrigerator! It's on my counter, next to the toaster, nice and handy! icon_biggrin.gif

So I understand ..... you're going to make the icing and ice the cake the night before the event and you're worried it will be "rancid"? icon_confused.gif I think you're overthinking this. you'll be fine. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%