Mmf From He!!

Baking By mcampbell31 Updated 8 May 2011 , 11:56am by mcampbell31

mcampbell31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcampbell31 Posted 7 May 2011 , 5:03am
post #1 of 10

MY DAUGHTERS BDAY PARTY IS TOMORROW AND HERE I AM SITTING IN FRONT OF SOME DRY BRITTLE MMF THAT I HAVE PUT CORN STARTCH, CRISCO AND NUKE IT IN THE MICROWAVE AND NOTHING HELPS. WHERE DID I GO WRONG? WHAT CAN I DO? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. SHE IS GONNA BE SO DISAPPOINTED TOMORROW IF I JUST CONE OUT WITH A BUTTERCREAM PLAIN CAKE.

9 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 May 2011 , 5:14am
post #2 of 10

You could try to knead a little bit of water into it. I had to do that once with marshmallow fondant. Basically I just wet my hands and kneaded. It felt slimy at first but worked in nicely.

Good luck!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 May 2011 , 5:20am
post #3 of 10

Water, corn syrup, glycerine, glucose, or melted marshmallows. Those are all things I have used to bring MMF back to life.

FYI: on Friday nights, Leah_s run the Friday Night Cake Club. It's for anyone and everyone. On Friday nights, that post is the fastest way to get an answer and is the main purpose of the thread. I thought you'd like to know that for the future because I didn't know what it was all about when I was new here.

mcampbell31 Posted 7 May 2011 , 7:07am
post #4 of 10

I pretty much ended up tossing it. This is the second time I've tried to make fondant and it doesn't work right for me. I felt like a failure tonight becuz I wanted to make my daughters cake special. Now it looks like something I bought home from Wilton Class I. I was too frustrated and tired to even try and decorate it really good. Threw some borders on it and called it a night. I think as long as the colors resemble her theme she won't be upset. She is only 8. Mommy tried.

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 7 May 2011 , 8:47am
post #5 of 10

you are probably mixing ur marshmallows with to much powdered sugar. when you mix it do you dump all ur sugar in at once? i used to do it that way until one day i had the same issue as you so now i add the sugar about a half cup at a time till i get the right consistency. i don't know why sometimes i use the full amount and sometimes i don't. i guess maybe it's the climate?

mcampbell31 Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:12pm
post #6 of 10

Yup I think I probably used to much powdered sugar. I will try making it again one day when I don't need to make a cake.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 10

I make MMF all the time. You used too much powdered sugar. Knead in a little at a time until you get a soft pliable consistancy. Also MFF need to sit overnight on the counter well wrapped and it will firm up a bit. The amount of powdered sugar that you use will depend on humidity. Sometimes I use a full 2 lb bag (but very rarely) and sometimes I only use half to three quarters of the bag. It is very much something that you learn just by touch and feel. HTH

mcampbell31 Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the replies. I know for sure I used to much powdered sugar. I did let it air over night. It wasn't stretchable when I made it nor after sat it overnight. I'll be sure to pay more attention to the consistency the next time more so than the whole 2lb bag.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 May 2011 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampbell31

I did let it air over night.

Did you let it sit out in the air or was it in a plastic container or plastic bag? After it is made, it should be rubbed with shortening, then wrapped in plastic wrap, then into an airtight bag or container.

mcampbell31 Posted 8 May 2011 , 11:56am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampbell31

I did let it air over night.

Did you let it sit out in the air or was it in a plastic container or plastic bag? After it is made, it should be rubbed with shortening, then wrapped in plastic wrap, then into an airtight bag or container.

No sorry that's a typo. I did wrap it and put it a zip loc bag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%