Should I Cut The Sides And Bottom Off The Cake?

Baking By tsal Updated 7 May 2011 , 5:14am by KoryAK

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:30am
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I just tried out a Champagne cake recipe that I got from allrecipes.com http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/champagne-cake-i/Detail.aspx

I increased the amount of champagne in the recipe to 1 cup as mentioned in the reviews.

I just took my two 8" pans out of the oven and the cakes look quite brown. It took some time for the center to cook which is why I coudn't take them out earlier.

I usually make a chiffon cake that doesn't turn brown at all. Is this champagne cake a total loss or should I cut off the bottom of the cake (and possibly the sides)? Ugh. I don't know what to do.

Anyone have experience with this situation?

4 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:44am
post #2 of 5

I'd probably at least level off the top, even if it might be level. I don't know about the sides, unless it's a square cake. This will give you a chance to taste it then you'll know if it's a total loss. Maybe next time either use a heating core or flower nail in the midde? Or perhaps drop the temp a bit?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:30am
post #3 of 5

Did your recipe have baking soda in it?
If it did, baking soda also helps to brown baked items. That is why baking soda is added to chocolate chip cookies.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:40am
post #4 of 5

No baking soda. I ended up baking a new layer.

*sigh*. New recipes are sometimes no fun at all!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 May 2011 , 5:14am
post #5 of 5

Did you TRY it? Maybe the brown-ness wasn't it being overdone and ruined, but just the way that particular recipe cakes up (especially with the extra sugar of champagne).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%