3D Car Cake

Decorating By carolynscreations Updated 20 Jun 2013 , 8:27pm by Milliamo

carolynscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolynscreations Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 11

I need suggestions on how to make a 3d honda civic cake. I have never done anything like this before and I am kind of stumped as to where to begin! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

10 replies
Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 6 May 2011 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 11

If you have time to order Mike McCrary's Cakenology DVD -- I highly recommend it. He builds a car cake step by step.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 11

I tried to find the link to the picture tutorial on flicker that I used. It was great but no luck. However, I also saw a picture tutorial on Susan Zambito's blog. It used the same techniques on how to make it. It shows to airbrush it but you can just use colored fondant if you want to. That's what we did. HTH good luck!

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 11

Hi I made a car cake and used
http://www.the-blueprints.com and searched for the car I wanted. It has all the details you need to make the car. I made templates in the size I needed and placed them on the cake to carve. I stacked my cakes with filling but did not do a crumb coat and froze overnight. Take a sharp knife and make small cuts so you don't make a mistake. Your indentations will have to be a bit exagerated to show through fondant.

I hope this helps you out. I have made a sherman tank and a VW car doing this.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 11

I use the blue prints .com site also. its fantastic. I am getting to the point I love doing car cakes. I am working on a general lee Right now. My DH cuts out a thin wood template of the body style. I put it on the side of the cake and carve away. so easy.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 11
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karen Yocom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karen Yocom Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the information and blueprint site.  Unfortunately, I was unable to find blueprints for the car my grandson wants (porsche 914-6), but I'll continue searching.  If I can't find it, I'll have to make some kind of template from his model car.  I did find the specs on the car for various dimensions, so that helps.  Thanks for your helpful post!

Milliamo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Milliamo Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 11

That's amazing thank you so much for posting this!

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 11
Milliamo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Milliamo Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 11

APerfect! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%