Occupational Hazards :)

Decorating By VanillaCoke Updated 6 May 2011 , 10:18pm by Kiddiekakes

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:18pm
post #31 of 37

I so needed these good laughs this morning! Thanks everyone!

The first time I had petal dust up my nose I was shaking my head in bewilderment on how I could possibly get petal dust up my nose, so I am relived I am not the only one with color coming out of my nose.....

My kitchen also mimics a powder sugar explosion.....thank goodness it dosent bother my hubby because he knows its apart of the job

And the weight gain.......grrrrrrr.......I am on a diet with much success this time......I even baked a cake this week and did no taste testing....believe me this was so hard, I love cake!![/code]

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:56pm
post #32 of 37

@Sam - yes I cut them fairly short when I know I have cakes to cover. Luckily my nails grow fairly quickly so when I have the luxury of a weekend off, I also have to luxury of manicured nails WITH nailpolish *sigh* Doesn't happen very often though...

I have seen Edna in her videos decorating with quite long nails - don't know how she does it. I do not have the patience to try to smooth every mark I leave.

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:16pm
post #33 of 37

My byproduct of caking is that I dislike cake now. I don't even want to eat cookies anymore!

Ummeiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ummeiko Posted 6 May 2011 , 8:02pm
post #34 of 37

I burnt myself pretty bad about a year ago. Long story short, I was pulling some racks out of the rack oven. Bottom of the racks got stuck on a small lip where the door closes, so the whole rack tipped forward and the pans slid off. I caught 4-5 pans on my arms for a few seconds before common sense said DROP THEM. The one fortunate thing is that the rack was full to the top, otherwise I very well could have caught some pans with my face.

On a more minor note, I have tons of small cuts from the plastic packaging (and less so from the cardboard boxes) we use.

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 6 May 2011 , 8:34pm
post #35 of 37

*sigh* I have all of these symptoms as well...but the worst to me is the loss of time. I have a full time job, and have been fortunate to have a successful at-home business (which is legal now in MI). However, that comes with a price. I work all day, then come home, and based on the orders that I have, I am often up until the wee hours of the night working. Lately, this happens every week.

The problem is that I have an 8 year old and a soon to be 10 year old. Independent, but still at an age where they need their "mommy". I cringe when my daughter has asked me for the 11th time to cuddle and watch "The Smurfs" with her (she knows it was my favorite cartoon when I was little) and I have to tell her that I can't because I have to finish a cake. icon_sad.gif

I am in a serious battle with myself over stopping the cake business or keeping with it.

Luck to all you bakers though...hopefully we will all find a good balance!

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 6 May 2011 , 10:15pm
post #36 of 37

I just wish I could perfect my cake decorating since I have a tendency to eat my mistakes!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 May 2011 , 10:18pm
post #37 of 37

That's OK....I have gone to my kids school with my nose all blue with airbrush...and someone finally told me..and stained hands all the time from coloring...yah know..running to pick up kids while cakin!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%