Fondant On Buttercream On A Cupcake?

Baking By JustGettinStarted Updated 5 May 2011 , 5:32am by Cupcations

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:17am
post #1 of 5

I normally do cakes, but my friend is having a bridal shower and I've been asked to make cupcakes. I've been looking at the photos in the gallery and I see a lot of cupcakes that are topped with a fondant circle the same size of the cupcake.

If people do this, are they using a decent amount of buttercream underneath or just enough for the fondant to stick?

Also, when you top the cupcake with a small flower or something similar made of fondant, do you normally allow the decoration to dry and harden or apply it soft?

I hope that made sense. Thanks in advance!

4 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:45am
post #2 of 5

When I top cupcakes in fondant, yes, I put a good coat of buttercream first. And, yes, when I'm putting on a gumpaste decoration I let it dry first.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:09am
post #3 of 5

I use an apple corer to hollow out the middle of the cupcake. Then with a big tip, I squeeze buttercream into the hole, and squeeze a little too much so it overflows, and then spread the extra very thin on the top of the cupcake. Then there's just enough to make the fondant stick, and you still get the enjoy the buttercream inside icon_smile.gif

SweetMelissa730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa730 Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:47am
post #4 of 5

yummy_in_my_tummy, thats a great idea! To achieve certain decorations I love the look of the fondant but missed the taste of the buttercream with the cupcake. Very nice compromise! It's funny too, I fill a lot of my cupcakes with different fillings but never thought to do that under the fondant. icon_smile.gif

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 5 May 2011 , 5:32am
post #5 of 5

I just recently made cupcakes with fondant for the first time, I put enough BC just to make it stick & I applied the fondant decorations directly to them while they were still soft. For more bigger/complicated flowers I suggest you leave them to dry...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2012808

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2012638

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%