Substituting Liquids In Wasc Cake

Baking By Cohaja12 Updated 5 May 2011 , 12:24am by Cohaja12

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 7

If I wanted to substitute, say frozen concentrate, would you use the same amount as you do sour cream (1 cup)?

TIA icon_smile.gif

6 replies
jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 4 May 2011 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 7

I substitute it in place of the water and still add the sour cream. Turns out great!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 4 May 2011 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 7

I use a recipe that is similar to WASC, and yes, I use the same amount when I do a liquid substitution.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 7

Sour cream is not a liquid and it has fat in it. I don't think you can sub a concentrate for it. Additionally, the concentrate will have sugar and the sour cream won't. I think it will affect the consistency of the cake.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 7

For high sugar substitutions several people cut back on the added sugar. I think the norm is to cut 1/2 cup sugar out of the 2 mix recipe. I tried subbing straight Torani syrup once and even though I cut back on the sugar, the texture of the cake was seriously off. Someone recommend I do 1/2 water and 1/2 syrup next time.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodrill604

If I wanted to substitute, say frozen concentrate, would you use the same amount as you do sour cream (1 cup)?

TIA icon_smile.gif

Substituting liquids is much different than substituting fats. The sour cream is part of the fat in this recipe.

If you let the frozen concentrate melt, it would still be the same amount that you are subbing when you are subbing the liquids.

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:24am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for your help!! I got started on the cake as soon as I got home and didn't get to the computer.

Here's what I ended up doing

WASC cake.....no sour cream. Used white cake, Welchs Strawberry Breeze (it had pretty much thawed out), yogurt and a bit of Rum. No extracts.

I had a tiny bit left over to make cupcakes for me to try. O M G thumbs_up.gif

Texture good, tastes really great!

Again, Thanks! Its good to know you all are so very helpful!!

Missy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%