Need Help With Crown - Not A Tiara

Decorating By pupandbon Updated 6 May 2011 , 5:20pm by mlwideman

pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 4 May 2011 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 6

I am trying to figure out how to make the crown that comes together and meets in the middle. I know I could do it on a carved cake on top of the cake but was really hoping to make it out of gumpaste as a topper. The only thing I can think of is to shape it out of wire and dip in white chocolate until the wire is covered and then adorn it with balls and other decorations. I'm going to try to attach the link to the picture. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give!!!

http://www.birthdaydirect.com/birthday-girl-polka-dot-lunch-napkins-16-p-25372.html

5 replies
mlwideman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 4 May 2011 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 6

I have not made a crown like this before but I have a couple of ideas that may or may not work. I think this can be made from gumpaste as a topper. You will probably need to make this in two separate pieces. Make the bottom of the crown on a small can taped with the template with wax paper on top of it (make sure to grease the wax paper so it will release when it has dried). You will probably need to use wire for the top part of the crown. After shaping it in the configuration you need you can cover the wire with gumpaste and decorate accordingly. Another idea I have is to make the bottom part of the crown and once it is dry, blow up a balloon and form the top in strips over the ballon to get your curvature. Once the strips are dry, pop the balloon and add embellishments (the balls) on the strips accordingly. Once dry assemble the two components with melted chocolate, piping gel or gum glue.

mlwideman Posted 4 May 2011 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 6

By the way, when I said to "form the strips over the balloon" I was referring to gumpaste strips for the top part. Using the wire in the 1st idea would make it more stable though and ensure you don't have cracking for the arches if using just gumpaste alone.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 6

I start with one piece of the basic crown top shape... the part that looks almost like an "M" or loosely the top section of a heart. Let it dry.

Make the other two cross section "legs" of the crown separately, let them dry.

Make the additional four "legs" with angled points cut to fit and line up into the "X" cross section of the basic crown shape (with only four legs at this point), let them dry.

Be sure to make the pieces to fit either within the band of the crown or on the top ledge of the band (whichever you prefer). Once the pieces are dried, assemble with your choice of glue (water, royal icing, chocolate, egg white, etc.). If your pieces are fairly thick, and you want to assemble before completely dry, you can insert toothpick halves into the center section to help hold it all together during and after assembly.

pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 6 May 2011 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for your replies! I was able to find a mni bundt pan and form it over that, the shape is not exactly the same as the pic but so close I think it will be fine! Thanks again for your tips!!!

mlwideman Posted 6 May 2011 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 6

What a great idea! Glad it worked out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%